cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite Protection Time Left: < 1 Hour???

Mehmet_Camci
Level 2
Hello,
This annoying problem, never goes away, whatever I do.
I have Quantum backup library (2 robotics heads to backup) with total of 16 tapes

I created a backup job to use 4 (80G)tapes 0-4, and set properties to overwrite.
Each week, I do quick erase 4 tapes(I tried long erase too) and move these to overwrite media set.
Just before the actual backup happens, it loads the media, and shows the media as "Overwrite Protection Time Left: < 1 Hour"
Now I have 4 x 80G tape, doesn't even backup 120G tada because of it. And backup ends witn an error with
"Overwrite Protection Time Left: < 1 Hour
Append Time Left: Infinite
Targeted Media Set Name: Overwrite
The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
from one or more sets created during this operation.
The operation can not be continued

^ ^ ^ ^ ^"

Did anyone ever solve this issue under veritas backup server 8.6 version?
I lower block size to 32k on each head (I use hardware compression) did not help.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The media provided to continue the backup already contains data from one or more sets created during this operation. The operation can not be continued

This message means one and only one thing. You have filled the tape, and backup exec has tried to re-load that tape to continue the job.

This is usually seen in standalone drives, or one slot partitions.

You are not using a partition, are you?

Mehmet_Camci
Level 2
If you mean I dividing the 16 tapes into groups and each group having its own backup job, yes.
I know that even if I quick/long erase the tapes, it still won't write to whole tape.
4 Tape is a part of the media set which is set to overwrite.
Thanks
MC

Steve_Broomell
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
You can't write to the tapes because as you stated you "move these to overwrite media set." As soon as "you" move the tapes into the "Overwrite" media set, the tapes take on the "overwrite protection" of that media set (whether the tapes have data on them or not).

You should let Backup Exec move the tapes into the media set itself. The only thing you should do is place the tapes in the "Scratch" area. When BE needs a tape to write to, it will grab a tape from the Scratch area and move it to the "Overwrite" media set (provided that the "Overwrite" media set is the media set you specified in backup job)

Mehmet_Camci
Level 2
Now I am confused more.
What is the purpose of creating a media set and having that media set to be overwrittent in that case?
When you create a media set, and assign a bunch of tapes those tapes seem to take overwrite protecion off. (NONE)
Because, I when I inventory tapes, and do quick erase, they end up in scratch media anyway with (I see) Over-write protection left <1 hour. When I do move it to overwrite, media set, overwrite protection becomes: NONE.
But when time comes to write to it, it seem to change
MC