cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exch 2003 Mailstore Restore Fails with e0000383

JTMAdmin
Level 3

Hello,

I have been going through this all day today - looking through white papers and posts here and all over the show - however I am still no closer to being able to complete a restore.

What I have is a full backup (BackupExec 2010) from Exchange 2003, and I want to restore a Mailstore from that backup; which incidentally is using GRT for the fullbackup which completes on a Sunday and then incremental backups for all days inbetween.

I can go and select entire mailstore from the full backup, and set the Exchange Redirection to redirecto to the drive and path of my RSG that I have setup on the Exchange Server (using the same name as the Mailstore in Exchange).

The credentials all pass when they are tested.

When the job runs it fails, simply saying:

Error category    : Security Errors
Error             : e0000383 - Failed to log on to Microsoft Windows.

Ensure that your logon credentials are correctly entered and that they meet the following minimum requirements to log on to a Windows computer:

- The credentials used are a member of the Backup Operators gro
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-899

The user that I am using is a full domain administrator; the password is correct.

I can complete a restore of an individual mail item into a users mailbox from the same backup using the same username

I just can't do a full mailstore restore without running into the above error.

Can anyone offer some direction for where I need to start looking in order to get this resolved?

Thanks in advance

Troy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are just missing on thing here. To restore to Recovery Storage Group (RSG) of Exchange 2003, you do not have to specify the path of the RSG and you do not have to use the Redirect Exchange Set options.

Just create an RSG and add the required Mailstore to the RSG. Ensure that this Mailstore which is present in RSG is dismounted and also the option "This database can be overwritten by restore" is checked in the Properties of that mailbox store under RSG.

Ensure that on the original MailStore the option "This database can be overwritten by restore" is not selected. You will see this option in the properties of the mailstore in the Database tab from the Exchange management console.

Now in Backup Exec, just create the restore job and select the Mailstore which needs to be restored and is already added to the RSG.

Do not select any option under the Exchange redirection. Exchange 2003 is designed to restore to RSG only when RSG is created and mailstore is added to it.

For further details with screenshots please refer to this technote given below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29719 : How to prepare Exchange 2003 so that a Recovery Storage Group Restore can be performed with Backup Exec for Windows Servers

NOTE: The Exchange redirection option should be selected only when you are restoring to different Exchange server.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are just missing on thing here. To restore to Recovery Storage Group (RSG) of Exchange 2003, you do not have to specify the path of the RSG and you do not have to use the Redirect Exchange Set options.

Just create an RSG and add the required Mailstore to the RSG. Ensure that this Mailstore which is present in RSG is dismounted and also the option "This database can be overwritten by restore" is checked in the Properties of that mailbox store under RSG.

Ensure that on the original MailStore the option "This database can be overwritten by restore" is not selected. You will see this option in the properties of the mailstore in the Database tab from the Exchange management console.

Now in Backup Exec, just create the restore job and select the Mailstore which needs to be restored and is already added to the RSG.

Do not select any option under the Exchange redirection. Exchange 2003 is designed to restore to RSG only when RSG is created and mailstore is added to it.

For further details with screenshots please refer to this technote given below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29719 : How to prepare Exchange 2003 so that a Recovery Storage Group Restore can be performed with Backup Exec for Windows Servers

NOTE: The Exchange redirection option should be selected only when you are restoring to different Exchange server.

Thanks,

-Sush...

JTMAdmin
Level 3

Stunning you are correct - I was over complicating the situation!

Great news - everything worked out okay.

Thanks for your help Sush!