cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Exchange Backup Password

konradk
Level 3

Hi All,

I have a tape backup of Exchange created using Symantec Backup. There is no info available about the version of the backup software though.

My goal is to restore some mailboxes to be used in the Mailstore program as archives.

There must have been a user / password combination that was used for creating the backup.

Unfortunately, this information is not available.

When I attempt to create a Restore job  (Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3), under Resource Credentials, testing fails with "A communication error has occured" message. That indicates that user/password credentials provided were incorrect.

Question:

Is there any way of resetting/changing these credentials?

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Konrad
7 REPLIES 7

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you insert the tape in the drive/library and run a manual catalog on this tape (first try it without entering a password)? Did this complete successfully? In the restore selection, are you able to browse the contents of this media?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

That error sounds more like not enough credentials to write back into Exchange - rather that a problem reading from the tape itself

However that said if you don't know what version of Backup Exec it is, would the version of Exchange have also changed as you can't restore Exchange to a newer version

konradk
Level 3

Hi All,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Simon

Answers are Yes and Yes. I am able to select mailbox store and all files. 

Tape is fine.

Colin

I assume that since backup files are dated 2006, Exchange was 2003 but it is just a guess. 

I took over the problem so do not have enough info and must track it down.

Any other ideas about recovering/resetting password used for backup?

Cheers

Konrad

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK the restore credentials are not a password on the taope they are the password requried to write into the current Exchange server.

However you have stated that this is the test credential failing - what happens if you actually do the restore do you get the same erro message or a different one?

konradk
Level 3

Colin,

OK, that makes sense. However, I actually attempt to restore locally using file redirection pointing to the local folder.

Would it require Exchange credentials too? Even if I do not connect to any Exchange at all?

Cheers

Konrad

konradk
Level 3

Actually when I run a restore job, I get an error message. 

the media server could not connect to the remote....

See screenshot in an attachment.

Cheers

konradk
Level 3

Hi All,

If I set up a new Exchange just for the purpose of recovering a mailbox would it be more effective solution than trying to restore it locally?

Cheers

Konrad