cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 Backup Issues

The_Dude
Level 4
I'm having a problem backing up Exchange 2003 SP2. It runs for some time, backups 70GB of data and then gives me this message:

<lots of other stuff, inc the database files for exchange>
The credentials are fine and all the tests run ok. The closet match I've found is this:

But it is run to disk anyway, so I don't believe this to be the problem. I've tried the options and I don't get any extra information. The backup on the non-Exchange data on the server runs fine, all other backups run fine. Hotfix 5 is installed on the server, and I've reinstalled the client but that hasn't helped.

Can anyone help?
12 REPLIES 12

SPR_TSE
Level 4
Employee
First, identify which revision of Backup Exec you're using ... Help > About, and look for the 4-digit number. If it's 11.0.6235, I recommend upgrading to Rev.7170, found here:

http://esdownload.symantec.com/akdlm/CD/MTV/BEWS_11D.7170_32BIT_VERSION.zip

Next, are you backing up the Exchange 2003 server or the information store, or both? Based on your closing comment, it sounds like you're backing up everything on the server in a common job. A common problem we encounter are users who are backing up the server AND the information store, and we see the \Exchsrvr folder (or a specifically customized database or logs location) selected for backup as well as the information store. That would represent a conflict and could cause jobs to fail. In this case, it wouldn't matter if your credentials are correct, you'd be performing a backup of the file at the same time you're performing a backup of the information store and BOOM! Access denied.

The best recommendation is to separate your jobs by agent type: back up the data portion of the Exchange server separate from the job that backs up your information store.

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
we are all having this same problem, look a few threads down an dyou'll see an acess denied discussion. symantec is messing up big and they are not helping. i am on hold righ tnow for 30minutes to speak to one of there non english speaking reps.
im getting fed up with these people.
im running 11d build 7170 on a storage server 2003 x64
backing up an exchange standard 2003 x32.
it runs the backup, and then when it finishes it says access denied. the logon account is fine, it was working fine then all of a sudden, these errors are comoing up.
im trying to do the granular backup which is suppose to be support now on 64bit with 7170.
i had 3 4 and 5 patches installed. i went ahead and removed them tos ee if this helps.

Ward, can you help??
thank you

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
ward i tried backing up just the information stores, but i still get the access denied error.
it backs up the 105gb of data, just the job fails at the end. and i cant do a restore.

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
hey the dude i just realized i was speaking to you in the other discussion board as well! lol
maybe this ward guy can help us since it says he's a symantec tech

The_Dude
Level 4
Ward,

1. It is Rev 7170. However, it is the 64-bit version not 32-bit.

2. For my test backups I can just doing the IS only to speed things up. I am still having the problem. Certainly, I was doing both before but that is not the cause. As per the other thread, I am not the only person who is now having this problem.

Thanks.

frnkblk
Level 3
I'm having a simliar problem here, but this time with Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2003 x64 box.

Also running Rev 7170.  This is what I get:

It's all very odd, please, if anyone finds a solution, please post it here!

Frank

SPR_TSE
Level 4
Employee
1. Make sure that the Management Tools (MAPI/CDO) are installed on the Exchange server; they can be installed from the CD as a custom install or downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E17E7F31-079A-43A9-BFF2-0A110307611E&displaylang=en
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287937

2. Make sure that the account has a unique name (to 5 characters), that it has an active account in E2K7, and it must be an Exchange Organization Administrator; also, make sure that the account is email enabled and not hidden from address lists.

3. From Backup Exec, go to Tools > Options, Microsoft Exchange; make sure that "Enable the restore of individual mail messages ..." is selected.

4. From the backup job in question, under Microsoft Exchange, make sure that "Enable the restore ..." is selected.

The_Dude
Level 4
1. As per the thread subject, this is Exchange 2003 not 2007.

2. I'm pretty certain the account name is unique (we've seen this issue before). Care to explain why Backup Exec has such a stupid requirement? I've added a mail account to it.

3. It is.

4. It is.

The_Dude
Level 4
Ward,

Can you reply to this thread also:

As many people are having this problem...

frnkblk
Level 3
1. Yes. That was part of the install.  Any way to verify this, though?
2. Make sure that the account has a unique name (to 5 characters): Yes
   That it has an active account in E2K7: Yes
   and it must be an Exchange Organization Administrator: Yes
   also, make sure that the account is email enabled: Yes
   and not hidden from address lists: Yes
(I did follow thruogh the KB before posting, of course.)
3. Yes.
4. Yes.

It would be really nice to put this problem to rest.  Does Symantec support customers via remote-desktop?

Frank

SPR_TSE
Level 4
Employee
Symantec uses Webex to provide remote desktop support. However, because of potential liability issues, we have been requested to not take control of customer desktops..

frnkblk
Level 3
What are my next steps?

Frank