cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 Backup & Restore Best Practices

Daveed
Level 4

I am currently reviewing our backup policy for Exchange 2003 using Backup Exec 11d and after reading quite a few posts I am unsure as to whether the way we are backing up our exchange is correct and will provide us with protection should we need to do a restore.

We currently backup up the Microsoft Information Store only as otherwise we cannot get everything onto one tape and do a full back up every night. Compression is done by Software, AOFO option is used and the checkbox is ticked for 'enable the restore of individual mailboxes'.

Do these options sound reasonable and how easy would it be to restore the exchange database in the event of a disaster?

I have looked at some of the best practice guidelines that are out there but I must confess they are not written in the most simple way to understand.

If anyone can recommend any guidelines to me or at least give me some advice then that would be most appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Anup
Level 6
Certified

It is not recommended to use AOFO for exchange backups.

Limitations of snapshot backup technology with the Backup Exec 10.x for Windows Servers Agent for Microsoft Exchange 

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279927 

Daveed
Level 4

I have turned off the AOFO option and also set up a Recovery Storage Group on the Exchange Server to enable me to test restoring mailboxes.

I followed the exact method shown in http://support.veritas.com/docs/264815 for doing a restore and also the restore job is shown as successful in Backup Exec 11d, when I mount the Recovery Storage Group the mailboxes that I marked for restore are not there.

Any ideas anyone, cos I'm stumped.

Cheers

Anup
Level 6
Certified
Did you use Exmerge?

Daveed
Level 4

Yep, when I run Exmerge and select the Recovery Storage Group to create the pst from, it throws up an error because there are no mailboxes to select from.

Daveed
Level 4

Can anyone help and let me know where I am going wrong?  I am desperate to try and ensure that we can restore our data should we need to.

Cheers