cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 GRT

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Is backing up exchange 2003 using GRT working properly now with the most recent hot fixes? I have not followed the progress over the last few months.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Wes_Stewart
Level 4
I have been experimenting with it the last couple of days and from my experience it most definitely is not working.  In fact in my few days of trials I have no backups to show for it.

It seem like there is a bug, which Symantec has been aware of since May, that if you are doing a GRT backup to disk the job will fail due to running out of disk space and then just for good measure will delete the entire backup it just completed.  Funny things is that you will not be out out of disk space.  In my case I had a measly 330GB left for a 70GB IS.  The work around for this problem discovered in May (It is November correct?),  backup to tape.

Symentec Error Page

BTW the error page says this problem is effects rev 6235.  I have 7170 with all hot fixes installed.

Message Edited by Wes Stewart on 11-12-2007 09:24 AM

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Thanks Wes. That is kind of what I gathered reading through some of the previous posts but did not see it mentioned for sure one way or another. So in other words the backup to tape method still requires the restore of the entire data store to a disk volume before the individual mailbox can be restored anyways?!

Message Edited by Corey Wilson on 11-12-2007 08:31 AM

Network_Admi11
Level 3
so much for "best practices" which tell you you must backup to disk.

sigh... this product costs much more than the actual dollars you pay for it. :(

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
not to go on a bashing rampage but this is THE worst backup product I have ever used. I have been a long time Veritas user and since symantec took over the quality of the product has drastically declined. The issue here is, a backup package should be one of the most reliable applications in your organization and when there are known issue, especially issues with some of the 'core features' that were so loudly marketed as being revolutionary, etc and these items still dont work as expected...a year later. Thats my gripe. Anyways we have been working with the limitations of the product but thats not to say I feel these problems should even be here.

Wes_Stewart
Level 4
Corey,

I have not been using tape for the last couple of years, so I really can't answer your question.

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
no problem. thanks

BHNMI
Level 2
I have tried every solution, fix and workaround I can find. I still cannot restore individual mailboxes, when I backup to tape.