Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 + 11d - restore single email

Casey_Sterling
Level 4
Cannot get around this error:
Job ended: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at 5:23:52 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
Final error category: Resource Errors
After multiple account/mailbox variations. Anyone know the trick, or is it not possible.  thanks...
12 REPLIES 12

Mark_Mems
Level 3
Partner

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Casey,

Are you restoring a single e-mail to the same mailbox?

Are you restoring from tape or from disk?

Lance_Wilson
Level 3
I am having the same issue.  I am trying to restore to the same mailbox, and from disk.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Lance,

On the Exchange server what are you seeing in the Application log?

Is there anything reported from ESE?

Patty

Lance_Wilson
Level 3
Nothing in the event logs Patty.  I just re-ran the restore and it dies almost instantly.  Not sure what I am missing...

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Lance,

Please make certain that the cdo.dll and mapi32.dll files on the Exchange server are the most current versions and that they are in appropriate locations available in the system path. Example: x:\program files\exchsrvr\bin\cdo.dll AND x:\winnt\system32\mapi32.dll.

You can also try to unregister and reregister the cdo.dll.

If the Mapistub.dll file is present in the x:\winnt\system32 directory on the Exchange server, rename the file to Mapistub.old and retry the operation.

You can also run the SGmon.exe utility to run the restore in debug mode, it may provide a better error.

Patty

Lance_Wilson
Level 3
I got it working.  It turns out the backup service account had a mailbox on one of my Exchange 2003 mailboxes, which was not accessible from the backup server.  I moved the mailbox to a different server, and everything works fine now.

A couple of ideas for others to try:

• Make sure that the account being used for the restore (probably his Default logon account, might also be the System Logon Account) has a mailbox. We log in to that mailbox via MAPI first before accessing the mailbox being restored.
  • Make sure the databases are mounted of course.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
That is great Lance.
Thanks for posting the resolution.

Jerry_Battaglia
Level 4
Actually, I'm having this same exact problem and none of the above fixes has helped. Have you seen anything else that could cause it? I did an Info. Store backup to disk, then immediately tried to restore an email and I get the error as soon as the job starts. I've adjust every setting I can see related to this and am coming up empty. My Administrator account was on another server, but I moved it to the EX2007 server just to be sure but that didnt help. Reinstalled the above mentioned MAPI/CDO as well.

This is my last hold up before final deployment, any help would be appreciated!

Jerry

Jerry_Battaglia
Level 4
We figured it out, in case anyone else comes across this. Exchange 2007 shuts down the System Attendant service when it is not in use. You have to manually start this service just prior to running a granular restore. Bada Bing!

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
Thanks for posting your resolution, Jerry.  That info is appreciated by all.

Trowster
Level 3
Had this exact same problem couldn't back the storage groups at all even though all the tests worked OK.  Firstly, logged into Outlook Web Access with the Backup account details to check it could get access OK.  Then went to Start>All Programs>administrative tools>Domain Security Policy.  this brings up the default domain security settings snap in.  Go to Local Policies>User Rights Assignment and then add the backup operators, administrators, etc to the following entries:- Allow logon locally; backup files and directories; log on as a batch job, log on as a service; restore files and directories; take ownership of files or other objects.

After that backing up the Exchange stores worked first time, and if you run a restore you can see all the individual users underneath each mailbox that are within the storage group.

Good luck!