Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backup: Access Denied

Flo79
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

I got some problems with my backup job (Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007) since install of latest HF and update to SP1 (build 7170).

I get high CPU-usage at the end of the backup (before verify) - remsrv using up to 100% - and after ending this tasks the job continues but fails with "Access denied" V-79-57344-33928.

Anybody got a clue?

Thx
19 REPLIES 19

Flo79
Level 3
Partner
Update: at the point where it stops the state of the backup is "catalogs are updated" (translation from german).

Maybe this would help...

Sascha_Krueger
Not applicable
HI.

Same with us.... BEWS 11d (7170 SP1) with Exchange 2007.

When we try to backup the Mailbox Database to a B2D-Folder we get the following message nearly at the end of the backup job:

The same error occures when we try to restore a folder or a single mail from tape.

Anyone got some issues for that ???

Best regards

Sascha

The_Dude
Level 4
Yup, I've got the same problem too. remsrv just keeps on crashing, and then giving me access denied.

I've got a case open with tech support about it, so we'll see! I believe hotfix 14, part of SP1, is the root cause of the problem. As our Exchange backups were much better before hotfix 14 was installed.

Flo79
Level 3
Partner
Nice to hear we are not the only ones with this problem.

I also believe it's a problem with HF 14, but removing the HF doesn't fix it.

Maybe you can post when you get response from SYM.

The_Dude
Level 4
I'm using the x64 of Backup Exec - are you as well?

I'll let you know more when I do.

Flo79
Level 3
Partner
yes, 64-bit media-server and backing up ex2k3 and ex2k7

Flo79
Level 3
Partner
any news from symantec?

The_Dude
Level 4
My case about this has been open for several weeks already, so I wouldn't expect any quick resolution. I've sent them an awful lot of logs in an attempt to resolve it, hopefully they will find something soon.

Jason_Allen_2
Level 3
I am getting the same message after installing SP1 on 7170.  Have a x64 media server and backing up ex2k3 on x86 win2k3 server.  Mine says Public Information Store.

The_Dude
Level 4
Yes, my public information store fails to backup also once SP1 is installed.

I would check your restore from Exchange though!

Had some good news from tech support today, so we might be close.

Jason_Allen_2
Level 3
What do you mean by check my restore from Exchange?  Are you saying that the failed message may be false and that I should be able to restore from the backup?  Including individual mailboxes and public folders?

Also, have you installed Hotfix 21 to see if it fixes the issue?

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Flo79
Level 3
Partner
i just tried HF21, no success

The_Dude
Level 4
Using GRT, I can't restore anything without getting an "access denied" or remsrv.exe crashing on the backup exec server.

Jason_Allen_2
Level 3

The Dude wrote:
I would check your restore from Exchange though!

What did you mean by the quote above then?

The_Dude
Level 4
Basically, I can't restore anything from Exchange currently. I am pretty certain the backups are working however.

Jason_Allen_2
Level 3
Ok, that is what I thought.

Last night I ran the backup and unchecked the "Restore Individual mail boxes..." in the MS Exchange settings on the Job Properties and the job succeeded. 

Tried Legacy backup and it failed.  I am all confused on this.  I am really close to removing SP1 and reinstalling the HF's I had before.

The_Dude
Level 4
In the end, we had to switch to legacy backups to get this to work. Using GRT, it just wouldn't work with a server rebuild (according to Symantec & Microsoft).

Issues:

1. Having Outlook installed on the exchange server messes up MAPI.
2. Our Exchange organisation is a bit broken due to left overs from our Exchange 5.5 migration.

We'll be using legacy for the time being, before building a new Exchange organisation in due time (we had another project we would have enforced this anyway).

On the plus side, legacy backups are working fine for us. They are a bit slow, but otherwise they are good. Restores of the legacy backups are also working fine!

Jason_Allen_2
Level 3
I assume you tried removing outlook from the Exchange server and that didn't work?

Just checking because I have outlook 03 installed on our Exchange server and I never thought that could be causing the issue.

The_Dude
Level 4
Yeah, we tried that. The Microsoft guy they got involved said the damage had been done by that point and uninstalling Outlook didn't help. Check your mapi32.dll version in system32 anyway.