cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backup will not purge MDBDATA logs

jroyle
Level 2
Partner
I'm currently running Backup Exec 11d with the exchange opiton. Our exchange logs show that the backup is successful every night however our MDBDATA folder is filling up our drive with Exxxxx.log files.  Am I missing a step here?

Thanks for the replys in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Are you backing up the Information Store - i.e. the entire Information Store, not just the Mailbox store and public folder store?
You need to backup at the IS level for the logs to be flushed, as Exchange shares the logfiles between both mailbox and public folder stores.

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
As Hywel mentioned, you need to be sure to select Exchange at the top levels.  For instance, if you select each database on the right side of the screen seperately then the logs will not be purged, even if all database in the storage group are backed up.  You need to select the Storage group itself, or the full IS.

Another thing to keep in mind, Backup Exec does not do the purging of logs.  When a backup completes, Backup Exec tells Exchange that the files have been backed up.  Exchange itself then determines if the log files will be purged or not.  It is not uncommon for some log files to remain after a backup has run.  If your machine is adding a bunch of logs and never purging them, I would check your selecctions in the backup job and select the entire SG itself and run the job again.

jroyle
Level 2
Partner
Thanks for the replies.  As far as the selections I checked the box for information store (Left pane).  When I do that I see that it checks both the Private and the mailbox Store (Right pane).  Is that the correct way?  I'll double and triple check my selections again though.

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Yes, you want both selected so Exchange can purge the logs... If only one is selected Exchange cannot purge the logs since they are shared between priv.edb and pub.edb