cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backup with GRT Enabled is s---l---o---w!

Forums_User273
Level 3
Using B/E v12, Exchange 2003, backup-to-disk folder, full backup w/ log flush, highest priority, 2GB pipe between servers.  If GRT is disabled, throughput on a ~60GB Info Store is approx. 575MB/Min.  If I leave all other options & settings the same and just enable GRT, throughput drops to 76MB/min.  I would expect performance to take a hit, but, **bleep**!  Why/what/where/how to boost speed & still use GRT?
3 REPLIES 3

Sully
Level 3
Same exact thing is happening with mine. It takes 29 hours to back up 90GB of data with GRT enabled. Gross.

Forums_User273
Level 3
There is a known issue with GRT & RAID 5 disk-to-disk backups.  Check KB 289271.

I got marginally better results with a RAID 0 array, but still very slow compared to tape throughput.  I'm waiting to hear back from Symantec re: a fix.

Sully
Level 3

I had my backup-to-disk folder on a Dynamic partition on a Windows 2003 server, which ran the Exchange 2007 backup at a whopping 53mb/s. I ended up blowing away that partition and recreated it as a basic partition (rather than a dynamic) and my job speed doubled. While that is still extremly SLOW (especially considering a Full data backup of 300GB takes only 4 hours), it knocked my backup time down from 30 hours for 100GB of Exchange data down to 15 hours.

Thought I'd share.