cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Cluster backup: how to

John_Butler
Level 2
I would like to backup an exchange cluster, using continuous protection. My question is on how to set up backupexec to do this:

1. I have a seperate server running backupexec with local storage. I would like to back up the exchange cluster to this server.

Do I have to install BackupExec in a cluster configuration, for my backup server to be able to access the exchange virtual servers or

Is it sufficient to install the remote agents on each node of the cluster.

The admin manual has a whole story about install backupexec in a cluster...but I just need to understand whether this is required to back up an exchange cluster...or if it is just a descripion on setting up a redundant backupexec infrastructure..which I don't need.

Hope this question makes sense?
5 REPLIES 5

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I don't use CPS, but for backing up clustered Exchange you install the remote agent on each cluster node, then define the backup set by pointing BE at the virtual server name.

Peter_Parker
Level 3
The main problem you will face is that your Exchange server is clustered.

Backup Exec for Windows Servers will function correctly with a clustered Exchange server, even when a fail over occurs. For this you do need the BE Remote Agent on both nodes, but BE itself does not need to be clustered. Once the Agent is on both cluster nodes, you will configure a backup job to backup the IS via the virtual server name. By using the virtual server name BE will not be concerned with which node actually owns the IS resource at the time of backup.

CPS, which is required for the "continuous protection", does not support any type of clustering. So when a fail over occurs CPS will have no understanding of how to react. What CPS will know is that the resource is no longer available and the job will begin "failing."

So "continuous protection" of a clustered Exchange server isn't supported but regular backup of a clustered Exchange server will work fine with just the BE Remote Agents on both nodes going through the virtual server name.

John_Butler
Level 2
Many thanks for the clear answer. It's a pity as I hoped the CPS would be of use in resolving a backup time window problem. Will have to look for another solution.

Thanks again.

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
John,
With 11d, we now have the ability to do Mailbox/message recovery directly from a full database backup. This ability is known as Granular Restore Technoology (GRT). I am assuming it is mailbox backups that are eating up your time window, and GRT would eliminate this issue. That being said, you should be able to just do regular incremental backups throughout the day or just each day, and still cut down your backup window. The overhead to do incrementals should be negligable depending on your environment.

Alex_Leonhardt
Level 4
Hi,

May I add something to this topic -

We've got an exchange cluster as well, have installed the remote agent onto both nodes and backup of the information store is successful
-BUT-
it says that the remote agent does not support the restore of individual items ? How can that be ? Is there an option I might have missed ?

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Alex