cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Corrupt Database Elements

Ron_Wolff
Level 2
I am running Backup Exec 9.1 for Window 2000 Server, using remote agent to backup Exchange 2000 mailboxes. I get errors "Database or database element is corrupt" on 3 of the 42 mailboxes. I ran the eseutil.exe on the exchange mailbox database, and it reports no inconsistencies. Can someone tell me how to fix this? Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

Chris_James
Level 3
Usually this can just be some corrupt emails in a persons mailbox
Does it give any errors saying "this file cannot verify"?
If so get the user to delete the emails or move them to archive folders

clay_bowman
Level 4
If a .pst is open you will see this message, and at the bottom of the job log it say something like archive.pst is a corrupt file. If it's failing the job there is a registry hack to stop the job from failing on corrupt data.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried a backup after excluding those mailboxes? What is the OS on the Exchange server? Is it Windows 2003?

You can install hotfix 47 for Exchange as well as SP 2 for backup exec. Refer to the following links for the same:

Title:9.1.4691 Hotfix 47 - Exchange Mailbox Backups (Backing up Microsoft Exchange mailboxes may cause the backup job to hang) *Requires Backup Exec 9.1.4691 Service Pack 2
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275354

Title:VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 2
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275247

Try the backup after this. In case the problem persists, revert with details on the problem. Hope this helps.

However in case we do not receive any update from you on this issue within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.

Drew_Cowern
Level 3
I would like to have this case re-opened. I am experiencing the same problems listed above and have implemented the fixes you suggested . I am still receiving are file based errors please see our log file snips.

First Error

Backup - E: DATADatabase or database element is corrupt
Database or database element is corrupt

WARNING: "E:\CompanyData\Email Archive\JTempler2005.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "E:\CompanyData\Email Archive\JTempler200505.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Second Error

Backup - \\HUNAUSYDSVR005\Shadow?Copy?Components \\HUNAUSYDSVR005\Shadow?Copy?ComponentsA failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

Third Error

Backup - \\HUNTER02\D: DataDatabase or database element is corrupt

WARNING: "\\HUNTER02\D:\Databases\Live\pms.lk" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "\\HUNTER02\D:\Databases\R07UAT\pms.lk" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

I have posted another error as well encase it is related.
Any Help would be greatly appreciated.