cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange DB restore taking a very long time

LameDuck419
Level 3

I'm running Backup Exec 2012 on a Win2k8 R2 server. Today we had an issue in which 2 of the Information Store databases on one of our Exchange 2007 servers would not mount. We back up the Info Stores directly to tape using the BE Exchange Agent, monthly full backups and daily incrementals.

So, I began a restore of those two databases from Backup Exec. I first enabled the option in Exchange Management for those 2 databases that allows them to be overwritten by a restore. The size of the restore (according to BE) is around 73GB. After about 90 minutes, the job activity claimed the job was 100% complete but the job was still active. 2 hours after that and the job is still active, and the bytes processed hasn't changed since that 90-minute mark. Does a restore like this usually take that long? If not, what might be the problem? See below for a screen shot of the job activity.

BEscrnsht.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LameDuck419
Level 3

The problem was that the drive I chose for the temp staging directory didn't have enough free space, after choosing a different drive and running it again it worked fine. It took about 2 hours to run. I find it odd that it would say the job was 100% complete when in fact there was still about 10GB of more data that needed to be transferred/restored on the original job... oh well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Do you have any active alerts that need clearing? Also, if Backup Exec isn't updated to the latest patch make sure and get it updated as soon as its convenient 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

try duplicating the Information Store to disk first, and then run the restore from there...

Thanks!

LameDuck419
Level 3

The problem was that the drive I chose for the temp staging directory didn't have enough free space, after choosing a different drive and running it again it worked fine. It took about 2 hours to run. I find it odd that it would say the job was 100% complete when in fact there was still about 10GB of more data that needed to be transferred/restored on the original job... oh well.