cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Error when openning the Database file: '-1018 There is a checksum error on a database page. '

ops-dphtob
Level 2
We have been receiving the following error off and on, but with increasing frequency when trying to backup Exchange 2007. 

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-1018 There is a checksum error on a database page. '

We're performing a Full of Database and Logs to disk, using GRT, using the reccomended LCR/CCR option (Passive, and then Active), but we are not performing a consistency check with VSS.

This system also suffers intermittantly from the following...

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\ws05.transitionaldata.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0x8007000E): Ran out of memory

-Darrem
6 REPLIES 6

PcSysAdmin
Level 4
-1018 There is a checksum error on a data
I just had the same error pop up and I'm running Backup Exec 11d.  Just the night before the backup exec services dumped during the backup.  I ended up restarting the Backup Exec services several times and couldn't get it to even inventory a drive.  After stopping the services again I decided to stop and restart the MS SQL services that Backup Excec uses.  Then started up the Backup Exec services.  Thit at least allowed me to inventory and run my backup jobs.

If I figure anything out on the -1018.. I'll post it here..

PcSysAdmin
Level 4
Found this article:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/311195

I guess they figure a bug in the software means purchase an upgrade.. hmm.. odd.. I'd think a bug in the method the backup software works (/doesn't work).. means... go out and pay some more..

oddly, according to them Backup Exec 12 shouldn't have this problem.. So if you have BE 12+ I'd think that would be interesting to know for sure.. Doesn't make me want to buy an upgrade if so..

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Refere the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/311195 to resolve the issue

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

very nice...

this document says you should update to version 12, which fixed this problem and at the same time applies to version 12.5...

PcSysAdmin
Level 4
DominikG.. That was a pretty nice catch.. I'd think Symantec would find that a little embarrasing..

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Which Version of Backup Exec, at which Patch-Level are you using? Perhaps updating to latest patchlevel solves this issue
Did a non-GRT backup work correctly?

Which Update-Rollup do you have on the exchange? Rollup 7?
regarding the out of memory error, there is a whole bunch of troubleshooting tips in the knwledgebase.
I see many of problems backing up Exchange 2007 day by day.
What I know:

get Exchange up to date
get Backup Exec up to date
get VSS Writer up to date

this solves many problems, every thing that is not solved by updating has to be investigated further.

best regards

Dominik