Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Error while taking backup through BE 2010

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

When I have taking the backup the following error is given:-

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\JPLEXCHCCR.xxxxcomp.com\Microsoft Information Store\Executive". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during prepare snapshot operation (8).

Please, help..

We have MS Exchange 2007 SP1 on Windows 2008 Sp1

I can understand that the Sp need to be Sp2 but previously it was working.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

You may try steps mentioned in the following MS article :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff597980(v=exchg.80).aspx (Troubleshooting the Volume Shadow Copy Service)

Hope this helps.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should turn off AOFO when you are backing up Exchange.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you're not using AOFO, you're still using VSS, and if that is in error on the server being backed up, you'll get that error.

Check the Symantec TN below...you can either restart your server, or reregister your VSS *.dlls.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

Thanks!

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

I have tried both the option...

with AOFO and without AOFO....( not tried re-registering the VSS...)

but bot the option fails with the same error...VSS...

I have checked the database and logs location...

There is very little space left...

I guess there may be space issue... let me check with the Exchange Admin...

Thanks.

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

You may try steps mentioned in the following article to change the Default VSS Cache Location to different disk which has more space :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160292 (How to change the Default VSS Cache Location to resolve disk space related issues for snapshost)

Hope this helps.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...reregistering the VSS *.dlls doesn't require a restart by the by, so you can bear that in mind.

zcollins
Not applicable
I had the same issue, and by restarting the VSS on the affected server cleared up the issue. We have several exchange jobs running with BE2010 and Exchange 2010. 3 of 7 mailstores being backed up would fail with the FED1 error, those stores were on different servers than the others. By running the VSSADMIN at the CLI we were able to see that the VSS was having the issue and by restarting the VSS we cleared the issue up and are now getting backups.