cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Grandular backup failure

zgodwin
Level 2
We have installed a new Exchange 2007 cluster with BE 11D -7170.  When we attempt to backup the database with the grandular option enabled we get the following error:
Job ended: Monday, August 06, 2007 at 5:03:09 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0001207 - To support individual mailbox message and folder restores from Information Store backups, you must download and install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects package version 06.05.7888 or later on the Exchange 2007 server. This package can be found on the Microsoft web site.
Final error category: Resource Errors

We have installed the MAPI/CDO 1.2.1 from Microsoft on both nodes of our CCR cluster and used the uninstall and reinstall option stated in on of the other forum entries.  We have also set it to backup to disk instead of tape.  But we continue to get this error.  When we disable the "enable restore of individual mailboxes..." it runs OK.

We would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Zack Godwin
Systems Engineer
Freight Systems, Inc.
8 REPLIES 8

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Zack,

You mention installing the cdo package to the CCR nodes, but did you install it on the Exchange server itself?  If it is not on the Exchange server itself you will keep getting that message.

Also, make sure the package is in fact the correct version (just mouse over the msi package).   There are a few builds of version 1.2.1 out there.  You need to check the sub-version and make sure it is v6.5.7888.0 or later.

zgodwin
Level 2
Thanks for your reply, we are using 6.5.7940.  We tried to enable the legacy Individual Mailbox backups too and they are not shown in the selections screen.  Looks like the remote agent is not seeing the MAPI/CDO at all.  We tried uninstalling and reinstalling the agent but no help.

Zack

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Zack,

The Exchange 2007 servers only has the remote agent installed on it correct?

On the Media server, have you installed the MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects package?

Regards

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Zack, you didn't mention if you actually installed CDO package on the primary exchange server in your organization...

CDO does not go on the BE media server.  If you have a 32 bit media server you have to install the Exchange tools on it, but there would be a message in the job log stating that.

zgodwin
Level 2
The backup exec is installed on the passive node of the CCR cluster.  Remote agent and CDO is installed on both nodes.

Zack

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Well there is your problem (most likely).   You cannot install Backup Exec on either node of the CCR cluster.  Backup Exec is "cluster aware" and can be installed into a traditional cluster, but CCR, LCR, and the upcoming SCR "clusters" are not traditional because there is no shared disk.  

You will have to remove your Backup Exec from the CCR node and install it on a seperate machine.  Once BE is installed, you push the remote agent to the nodes and virtual exchange server.  That may resolve your issue, at least it will get you in a supported enviornment.

Let me know how it goes once you reinstall.

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
And again, you need to install the CDO package on your MAIN exchange server as well.  I don't even think you need CDO on the CCR nodes to begin with.  Your CCR setup is not your exchange server, it's just one part of it.

AndyB_2
Level 2
D B is there anywhere it's documented that you can't have BE on a CCR node, I can't find any reference to this but sure enough have the same problem with CDO. Before I move the BE server to a Front end Exchange box I wanted to be sure if this was by design or a bug that might be resolved?

Also just to clarify, when you say the MAIN Exchange server, do you mean the Cluster name for the currently active mail database server or the CAS\HUB server?