cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange IS is not visible in the backup selection

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi all im running version 12 rev 1364 with service pack 5 installed along with hotfixes 358179 and 141388 and  the Exchange Information Store selection is no longer visible in the backup selection.

I am aware of some articles already covering this but they refer to service pack 3 which I dont have installed and also to a hotfix that I dont have installed.

Any help would be great thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Can you locate mapi32.dll in C:\Windows\System32 and let me know the version and date of the file?

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

Hi,

go to -> tools -> install options & license keys & make sure you have exchange agent license installed.

Try re-installing the exchange license.

What is the version of exchange?

Check for the following permissions on BE logon account from AD :

Domain admins, enterprise admins, exchange org admins, administrators.

Please refer to the following link for more information :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61749

After verifying all the information, restart remote agent service & BE services.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You didnt mention the version of Exchange and whether it is a remote server or local server. If it is Windows 2003 OS, check if ntbackup shows up the information store in selections. 

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi have tried reinstalling the exchange option but its still the same. The server is running 2003 standard edition and exchange (which is installed on the same machine) is running 2003 sp2.

Still when clicking on my server in the selections list I dont get the option to select the information store.

Thanks

reddoor_network
Level 4

Yes I can see the information store from within NT backup, it let me put a tick in the option to back it up so I just closed the NT backup.

If you need any other info just let me know.

Thanks

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is the backup-server (with tapeunit) the same server as the exchange server ?

In your first post, you mention: NO LONGER AVAILABLE, so it was available before ??

What is changes since then, installed MS patches ?

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi yes the server with the backup exec software and the backup device are the same server. Im not 100% sure what has changed but I noticed it when I changed one of my drives.

I had a spare drive (E:) so I changed both the c: and e: to dynamic disks then I setup a mirror of the c: so the e: was no longer available.

After this the backup job started to fail on the e: but I couldnt seem to correctly remove it so I deleted my backup job and created a new one which is when I noticed I could no longer select the information store. If I check back through old jobs is shows that it was backing this up so I must have been able to select it before.

I may have run a windows update or a live update around the same time but im not 100% sure of this.

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi is anyone able to help me with this problem please?

Thanks

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

Please create a new unique account in AD, give the required permission as per the link below & set that account as a system logon account in Backup exec :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51740

Restart BE services on both the server & re-try the operartion..

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi I can try this but my exchange software is installed onto the same server as the backup exec software so cant see how it can be an issue with user rights?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi reddoor,

Have you considered uninstalling the Exchange Agent license, and then reinstalling it?

Is the Information Store visible in a new selection list at all?

Laters!

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

It can be, I have seen this happening lot of time. Please update the results and lets see...

CraigV

Well, if the account being used worked previously, it shouldn't have anything to do with Exchange + BE being on the same server. Most of my servers are like this without that being an issue...

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi have run through the steps from

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51740

but get stuck when I get to the exchange part as im running exchange 2003 but the article is for 2007?

CraigV

Just quickly...does your Exchange server act as your BE 12 media server, or is it a remote server?

If remote, did you push out your updates AFTER installing SP5 with those 2 patches?

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi the exchange server and backup software are on the same server, also have removed and reinstalled the agent twice now.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Can you enable debugging on the server then attempt to browse the server.  I'd like to see the beremote debug log, that should give us some information as to why it's not showing.

How to enable debugging:

Set Debug on the Backup Exec (BE) server and each Exchange server: 

Open regedit and navigate to this key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SYMANTEC\Backup Exec for Windows Servers\Backup Exec\Engine\Logging
Set CreateDebugLog registry value to "1"
After changing the registry key restart all the Backup exec services.

The log should be stored in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs.
The file name will be beremote-servername##.log
You'll want to find the last one, it should have the most recent timestamp on it.

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi thanks file is attached as requested, just to confirm symantec backup software and microsoft exchange are on the SAME server.

Thanks for you help.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

I'm assuming this is a 32bit server correct?

Did you attempt to browse the server in a backup job after cycling the services?  From the log I don't see where you did.  Cycle the services again, then try to create a new backup job 2 or 3 times.  After that then attach the log for review.  Also can you attach a screenshot of what you are able to see?

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi yes is a 32bit server. Have attached screenshot and also the new log file. If you need anything else just let me know.

Thanks