cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Incrementals show no data

David_Mendes
Level 3
I am using 11D to backup my Information Store once a week. I run incrementals daily but when I try a test restore all I see under the daily incremental job is "Log Files" and I have an option to check the box.
I want to be able to see the list of mailboxes as I do when I run a restore from a "Full" Information Store backup.
Am I doing something wrong or do you need more info?
Thank You

8 REPLIES 8

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi David,

What version of Exchange are you running?  Also do you have BE 11.0.6235 or 10.0.7170?

Is your incremental and your full using the same selection list?

Patty

David_Mendes
Level 3
I am running Exchange 2003 in a cluster. I am using BE 11.0.6235.
I am backing up the same selection list, which is the "Information Store", that's all.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
David,

Are you doing your backups to tape?

In the best practices it states:

Restore individual Mail and Public Folder items from a full or incremental backup of the Information Store (Incremental supported only with B2D)

And in the Admin's guide it states that they must be associated to a policy and run to disk.

Are these requirements set in your environment?

Patty

David_Mendes
Level 3
Yes I am backing up to disk. I do have paid support so should I call you guys so you can connect and see what I am doing wrong?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
David,

That probably would be best.
It may be easier to do a webex session and take a look.

Patty

David_Mendes
Level 3
Thank You, I will do that.
Have a good day.

Jerry_Battaglia
Level 4
Can you share what you learned? Im having the same exact problem, although Im not in a cluster. Just a single EX2007 server and a media server, backing up to disk. Thanks.

David_Mendes
Level 3
I was told by Symantec tech support that you can only restore individual email messages/folders from a full Information Store backup. If you try to restore an incremental or differential then you will restore all backed up data, and probably have a lot of upset users!
Now I only run full backups twice a week and rely on the "Restore Deleted Items" feature in Outlook.
Thumbs down to Symantec on this one. 

Jerry, I suggest you look into the "Continuous Protection for Exchange". It sounds sweet but I was also told by a rep at a seminar in San Francisco that I could not use it because I am on a cluster.