cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mail server restore troubles

BackupUser
Level 2
Hello all,

I have built a seperate and isolated enviroment where I have installed a Domain controller and a exchange mail server.

I was able to restore the Exchange Mail server, however, when I am trying to restore the First Storage Group I went to verify the credentials, and when I say Test All, it shows successfull for all the things I want to restore, except for the First storage Group it shows that "not tested".

Why ?

the mail server is up and running, the user name and passwords are correct.  What could I be missing ?
Sine this is my first post, go easy on me :), I am a beginner in this backup restore, hence the isolated enviroment to test my expertise.

Best,

2 REPLIES 2

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
If you haven't already, you need to set your Exchange databases as overwritable, by using Exchange System Manager, and enable the option "This database can be overwritten by a restore".
If your databases are already mounted then you need to dismount them too I think. If you are doing a disaster recovery then they will already be dismounted.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Code:
dismount them too I think

This is correct.
It is worth having them mount first, THEN setting the "this database can be overwritten" option and dismounting them.
If for example, the actual folder that your Exchange log files go to doesn't exist, BE will not create it when just restoring an Exchange database (seen this happen in DR situation). If you check your database mounts once, you remove this problem.