cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox Backup Failing

Melissa_Prowlin
Level 3
I am running a job from a policy where the only selection is "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes". I have deselected individual mailboxes whose AD accounts have been deleted or disabled.

Job completion status says:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65069

Errors says:

Backup- \\ISMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Warning: Unable to backup the attachment data associated with one or more messages. Some messages and their attachments may have been deleted while the backup was already in progress.

In checking the history, there is no detail as to which mailbox(es) or message(s), just this generic error. I have done everything mentioned in the referred link and nothing is helping. I need to show a successful backup...and soon. Any ideas?
14 REPLIES 14

Melissa_Prowlin
Level 3
Anyone? I have searched this forum only to find that others have not had much help from veritas on this either. I have tried all of the suggested items in technotes to no avail. Don't want to turn off single instance backup as one user did because that kind of defeats the purpose of the exchange agent and makes the backup much larger than necessary.

Melissa_Prowlin
Level 3
How is it that the Veritas site won't let you email a question and points to this forum instead, and then when a question is posted, it doesn't get any reply?

Paul_Scalzo
Level 3
Melissa,

I have had this error many times, even back with ver. 9.1 I have not worried about it since this is not a critical error. It is a pain in the butt that your job is marked as failed. I think it would be difficult to chase down clients where the attachment was deleted or moved on a daily basis. I just wish Veritas would find a better way of identifying errors like this without the color red and FAILED.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
As Paul said, if you have users who are working during your backup period, you can't really stop them from changing mail items. Remember that 'mailbox' backup is really backing up each mail message individually, as if it was a file. - so, not much different than someone changing a file while backup is running.
It's not really critical - it only refers to individual mail messages, not the whole mailbox.

Your real concern should probably be that your 'information store' backups are completing without errors. This is what flushes the transaction logs and what you will need if your whole Exchange system (or a storage group, or a single store) goes "belly-up".

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Hi again Melissa

There is a Veritas support document - 261457 - that tells how to modify the registry to prevent jobs from failing due to corrupt files.

But then you're going to have to inspect the job log much more carefully to make sure that a real error hasn't been included as merely an exception.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Melissa,

What is the version of Exchange that you are using?

Have you tried deleting the policy and then recreating it?

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Melissa_Prowlin
Level 3
Thanks for your feedback. I have modified the registry, and it still fails the jobs. My information store is backing up fine. Unfortunately a daily "failure" is not deemed acceptable even though it is still a good backup of most data. Wish there was a real fix.

Melissa_Prowlin
Level 3
We are running exchange 2003. I will delete/recreated the policy and see what happens.

Melissa_Prowlin
Level 3
We are running exchange 2003. I will delete/recreated the policy and see what happens.

Melissa_Prowlin
Level 3

Melissa_Prowlin
Level 3

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Could you disable "Enable single instance backup for message attachments" for test purpose and rerun the backup?

Have you configured anti virus exclusions as per the document: http://support.veritas.com/docs/267437

Also refer:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266219

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Melissa_Prowlin
Level 3
I can disable single instance backup...but if it works, that is not an acceptable solution as that is a feature of the product that we rely on heavily for backup size control. Are you suggesting that if I disable it, and the backup doesn't fail, that I can enable it again and it will work?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that we are asking you to disable an option "Enable single instance backup for message attachments" for test purpose.

Have you trie ddisabling this option?What is the result of it?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.