cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox rights

Andy_Csepely
Level 3
I'm trying to use an account other than a domain admin to do backups on an exchange box. I have the user in the local admin group on the exchange box, in the backup operators group on the domain, and in the mail administrators group on the domain. Where else do I need to give this account access? i get "Access is Denied" to public folders and mailboxes when testing credentials.

thanks,

-Andy
8 REPLIES 8

Andrew_Katafias
Level 3
Make sure that your Logon Account manager includes the account you want to use. See this article:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266075.htm

Andy_Csepely
Level 3
Thanks for the reply....yes...the account is included there, as I'm using the same account for all my backup jobs. It is just with the exchange backup that it is having a problem with.

Andrew_Katafias
Level 3
Put the account into your domain admins group

Sam_Gooble
Level 4
Have you given this non-domain admin user permissions using Exchange Delegation at Exchange System Manager?
Ensure that this user is given Exchange-Full Control access using delegation.

And you probably know that this account's display name must be Unique with the first five letters..

John_Stefani
Level 2
Andy, Here's the deal. It depends on what version of Exchange that you are using. On Exchange 2000, Full Exchange Admins is explicitly DENIED and Exchange 2003 is ALLOWED (Microsoft thing). Here's the way I set it up. Create a user account "backupexec". If the media server is a member server, add "backupexec" to the local admins group. Under ESM, make sure that "backupexec" is a "Exchange Full Administrator" under "Delegate control". Under the First Administrative Group / Server / Your server properties, Security tab, make sure that "backupexec" has allowed "Send As" and "Receive As" checked as explicit "Allow" will overide the inherited "Deny". You will also need to do this at the "Mailbox Store" object in ESM as well. Then, logout of your media server and login as "backupexec" user and create or modify your jobs. Let me know how you make out.

Andy_Csepely
Level 3
Thanks for that info....I'll check it tonight and see if that solves it!

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you Please Update us on the issue.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Andy_Csepely
Level 3
No the solution did not work. I have just been using the domain admin to run the backups on exchange.