cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State Failed on System Files corrupt

Joan_Resnick_Eh
Level 3
Veritas 10.0. Windows Server SP1 with Exchange 2003 SP1 server. No AOFO. System State failing on corrupt System Files, but no specific file(s) is cited. See below for exact error. However, we can get a successful System State backup using NTBackup. And other than the failure on System State, the Veritas backup succeeds.

Issue started two weeks ago. We did have some files in the %systemroot%\$NTUninstallservicepack and \servicepackfiles folders, and in NetMeeting (which is included in WFP so included in System State) reported as being corrupt on flat file backup. (By flat file backup I mean all files backed up by selecting the partitions, ie, C:\ D:\ etc, but not "System State" or Exchange dbs, which get backed up via Exchange Agent). These corrupted files also caused NTBackup of System State to fail. But these files were deleted/replaced and Veritas is not reporting anymore as corrupt, and NTBackup of System State succeeds.

We checked Veritas docs we could find about issue. Per one doc, we do have Asynchronous File option checked in BEUtility Server properties (it was already checked). Per a second doc pointing to AV, our AV is Symantec Corp Edition (from Enterprise package) v.10.0.1. I hesitate to disable AV as this is Exchange Server (Exchange files excluded from scanning per Veritas & MS best practices docs re: AV and Exchange). I don't know of any issues with SAVCE that would cause this.

Any suggestions/ideas on cause and how to resolve?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------

System State backup failing on this error:

Backup- \\EX\Shadow?Copy?Components \\EX\Shadow?Copy?ComponentsV-79-57344-65247 - A failure occurred reading an object.

Backup- \\EX\Shadow?Copy?Components \\EX\Shadow?Copy?ComponentsWARNING: "\\EX\Shadow?Copy?Components\System?State\System Files\System Files" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Verify- \\EX\Shadow?Copy?Components \\EX\Shadow?Copy?ComponentsWARNING: "System Files" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
3 REPLIES 3

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Refer the technotes given below :

Backup of System State (Windows 2000) or Shadow Copy Components (Windows 2003) gets : Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000fedf - A failure occurred reading an object. Final error category: Resource Errors
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278148

Backup of System state fails with the error message "A failure occurred reading an object. WARNING: "\\\Shadow?Copy?Components\System?State\System Files\System Files" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify. Database or database element is corrupt"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279423

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Joan_Resnick_Eh
Level 3
Sorry for delay getting back to you, was out of town.

If you read my original message, I had already looked at those docs and ruled out as causes, before posting. I referred to boths docs and the results in my post. We already had asynchronous setting on (doc #1) and NTBackup worked (doc #2). We have Symantec AV Corporate Edition 10.0.1 and can't find where SAVCE is preventing backup of System State (doc #2 as well) Besides, we have another WS2K3 server (a DC) and BE 10.0 is backing up its System State fine with SAVCE 10.0.1 same settings (except on Exchange server certain folders excluded from scanning per Best Practices).

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265282

Thanks,
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.