cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailboxes no longer appearing in Backup list

Brian_Wheeler
Level 3
We use BackupExec v9.1 Build 4691 for Win 2003. Up until last Friday, our backups were running fine but when I came in to work on Monday, I noticed that the Exchange Mailboxes no longer appear in the Backup List. The Microsoft Public Folders and the Microsoft Information Store / First Storage Group have also disappeared at the same time!

I removed the Remote Agent on or Exchange 2000 Server, rebooted this and then installed the Remote Agent again and rebooted. However this did not bring them back.

I have checked to see if they appear using NTBackup on the Exchange Server itself and they do.

The backup I ran last night came back with an error message saying 'Access to the device \\servername\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes is not authorised with this edition of the product' - The same error message appears in the Job Log for the Public Folder Store and Information Store aswell.

Can you provide any advice so I can rectify this please?
10 REPLIES 10

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Deselect the "bkupexec" from the backup job selection list and also delete the entry from the Text Selection list.

(TITLE) Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec" (a0009418 HEX or e0009418 HEX) is reported during a job after changing the licensed mode of VERITAS Backup Exec (tm)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/257059

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Brian_Wheeler
Level 3
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have done as you suggested. However - Yes, this now removes the error message from the Job Log but it still does not allow the Exchange Mailboxes, Public Folders or First Storage Group to be seen in the Selection List.

I need to be able to backup these three things, which up until last week appeared in the Selection List and then suddenly stopped appearing. Why can these still not be seen?

Hoep you can assist again, thank you.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you check the serials, does the serial for Exchange still appear?

From Tools\Options\Exchange (I think) is the "Enble Exchange Support" box checked?

if you logon as the BackupExec Service account, can you open outlook and see the Mailboxes and Public Folders?

Brian_Wheeler
Level 3
If I go in to Going in to Tools>Options>Exchange, all of the Options are greyed out.

We use administrator credentials anyway and regardless of who logs in, the problem exists.

It's as though the Exchange Agent isn't installed but reinstalling this was one of the first things I did, which made no difference.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Your issue on the error message is resolved by the technote provided which states that the error is due to the absence of SQL license and that the product was installed in evaluation version.

So had you installed BE 9.1 in evaluation mode before? If so please refer to the foll. technote to pass to the licensed version.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253928

2. Else please check if the backup exec remote agent service is running on the exchange server and if so under the local system account.

3. Re-enter the exchange license on the backup exec server once more and recycle the servces. Then in the backup selection properties window check in:
remote selection>Microsoft WIndows network> exchange server name.

4. If still not able to see try backing up the server through user defined selections and check:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254193

Please revert with an update on the resluts.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Brian_Wheeler
Level 3
To answer your questions first...

1) No this was never an Evaluation Version and it has been working fine up until a week ago when they just disappeared.
2) The Remote Agent is definately installed on the Exchange Server under the local system account.
3) The licence key for the Exchange Agent is already listed as being added when I try to reinstall it under 'Licences and Serial Numbers'.

My question here is:
On the Exchange Server, should there be 2 Services running for BackupExec? At the moment, there is only the Remote Agent for BackupExec, nothing to do with an Exchange Agent. If this is supposed to be running too, then how to I get to install it again if the BackupExec server thinks it is already on there?

4) This made no difference.

Hope you can give me some more advice on my point raised...

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Verify if the exchange services System attendent and the Exchange Information store services are running.

1. Verify that Operating system and Exchange server is running with the latest Service pack.
2. Send and receive mails to newly created mailboxes and then check if they appear in the Backup selection list.
3. If Exchange is running on the remote system then verify that Exchange service pack is same on Exchange and BackupExec server.

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Brian_Wheeler
Level 3
Both the Exchange Services System attendent and the Exchange Information store services are running. And to answer your other questions...

1. Both are up to date.
2. This won't make any difference. The whole of the Exchange Mailboxes no longer appear in the Backup List neither does the Microsoft Public Folders and the Microsoft Information Store / First Storage Group.
3. The Exchange Server is running on Win2000 Server and the BackupExec is running on Win2003. Exchange is not installed on the BackupExec Server - That would require us to have two licences and would be uneccessary. We have had Backups running of the Exchange Mailboxes for over a year like this. It was only two weeks ago that they stopped being displayed in the Backup schedule.

Can I have an answer to my question from the previous posted message please, as I really think the Exchange Agent is where the problem lies?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Backup Exec does not install any backup exec exchange agent service. You need to install the remote agent which installes the remote agent service on the exchange server.

2. Also we had asked you to remove the exchange license that you see there and re-enter it and recycle the services.

3. We also had told you : If still not able to see try backing up the server through user defined selections and check:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254193

Have you tried this step? you have not updated us on this.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Brian_Wheeler
Level 3
Here's what I had to do:

I went in to Tools>Serial Numbers and Installation and removed the Exchange Agent serial number. (I was originally a bit sceptical to do this as it runs a complete setup and I didn't want it to overwrite all of the options I had changed and the Backup Selcetion Lists I had created, but in the end I just took this risk!).

Anyway, it didn't. The Exchange Server then had to be rebooted. I then added the same Licence number for the Exchange Agent, aswell as the Remote Agent part again just in case. This time it worked.

Thanks.