cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Restore failing on Authentication!

Will_Davies
Level 2
Wonder if anyone has any pointers to this. I'm trying to restore 1 mailbox from a tape from approx 2 yrs ago. I don't want to overwrite the current mailbox of the person as she's still here.
I've never done this before so decided to build a new W2k server, and put Exchange 5.5 on it, and BackupExecv 9.1 then restore the mailbox to the new server so we could then extract to PST etc.
Anyhow - I've been banging my head against walls now for over a week - surely this shouldn't be that hard? The mailboxes can be selected individually from the restore selection (after doing an inv. and catalog of the tape).

When I go to test the credentials;

- It tests OK for the Server connection
- But when it tried to test the Exchange\Mailboxes selection - it fails. I've tried using every combination of accounts I can think of, none work.

Does anyone know which specific (type of) account I should be using for this part? System logon / Backupexec account / Admin etc.

All help gladfully received.....!
6 REPLIES 6

Amorphous_Sage
Level 4
Hi, its a while since I did this but I do remember thsi working ok. Infact what I did was to setup Exchange with the same name etc as the live Exchange box and restore the whole PRIV.EDB.

Then run an ISINTEG to regig things. Then connect via Outlook and dump to .PST

The way you are doing it I think requires the original user to exist again on that box and if it doesnt match at restore it bombs out. Did you restore the original user accounts from the backup too?

If you do restore the whole PRIV.EDB databse (may take longer but is easier in my eyes) you can then attach any account to any mailbox (in Exchange Manager). i.e. you won't have any restore permission issues.

Will_Davies
Level 2
Thanks for that was helpful.

However, some more information:

- The exchange server is no longer in production/decommissioned a long time ago.
- The files priv.edb and public.edb are not available, as my predecessor didn't back them up.

So when I'm trying to restore this mailbox, can I put it on *any* information store i.e. any Exchange server, or does it have to be *the* same name as it was backed up on..

and...

When you input the Resource Credentials, I'm presuming you put in the account details for the exchange server you intend restoring onto, right?

Thanks

renuka__
Not applicable
Hello,
-Please ensure that the account you are using has domain admin rights and exchange full admin rights.
-Since this is a different exchange server, if the mailbox does not exist, please check the option to automatically re-create it. This option is available in the restore configuration window under exchange.
-Also if the problem persists please state the exact error message and error code obtained in the restore job log.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Will,

Could you tell us what rights does your Exchange user has?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Thanks.

Will_Davies
Level 2
Ok I've progressed on this somewhat, but still am short of actually restoring the mailbox. Probably severe overkill here, but I've built an NT4 PDC, W2K server running Backup Exec 10d, and a W2K server running Exch 5.5.

1) The Exchange server is named the same as the server the mailbox was backed up on. It was built and all installed using 1 designated admin account e.g. 'harry'.

2) The Backup exec server was built and installed using the same domain admin account as above (i.e. 'harry').

3) The PDC itself, was built and 'harry' added to the administrators group.

So when running the restore, it comes up with this in the job log:

"Final error: 0x000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and try again."

I'm wondering if its the Exchange server - i.e. what Exchange services should I be running, and which shoudl I have 'stopped'?

Help appreciated. Thanks again guys.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the steps below:

1. Ensure that the logon account you are using to perform the backup is a member of Domain Admin Group and Local Admin Group of Exchange Server.

2. (Exchange 2000) Start Exchange System Manager -> Right clicks the organization to start "Delegate control" wizard and grant logon account "Exchange Full Administrator" rights. (Exchange 5.5) Start Exchange Administrator, select the Site or Server and Go to Files > Properties and click on the 'Permission tab' and add the logon account. After adding the logon (Step # 1) account, grant 'Admin' role to it.

3. Ensure that you have created a mailbox for logon account. Send some mails to other users from this mailbox.

4. Make sure this account (Step # 1) is common logon account. To accomplish this follow the steps given below.
- Start Backup Exec
- Select Tools > Wizards > Logon account wizard
- Add new logon account, type in the credential for the new account.
- Make this account a common logon account.
- Complete the wizard.

5. Also, make the Backup Exec service account a member of Domain Admin Group and Local Admin Group of Exchange server.

6. Create a new backup job and perform the backup.

We suggest you to select mailboxes for backup from the root of the selection list.

Make sure that system; deleted, hidden and moved mailboxes are not selected.

After performing the backup revert back with the results.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.