cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup

Giyora
Level 4

Hi, I have windows domain - windows server 2003/exchange 2003 I upgrade BE 11d to BE 2010 r3. In addition,i upgrade windows remote agents successfully. The problem is that i unable to backup exchange database. Do i need to upgrade exchange agent ? if yes, how ? Best Regards, Giyora

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you upgrade to BE 2010, did you enter a new licence key for Exchange?  This is needed to back up Exchange.

Since you have upgraded the remote agent, when you have entered the correct licence key, this is sufficient to backup Exchange.

Giyora
Level 4
Hi, Yes i did enter the new license key,but still unable to backup excahnge..

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Help --> About and hit the Licence Info button to see that the Exchange licence is accepted.

What exactly is the error that you get when you try to back up Exchange?

See this discussion on what is required to backup Exchange 2003.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/windows-server-2003-exchange-2003-running-backup-exec...

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Could you please clarify what you mean you are not able to backup Exchange??

Are you not able to see the Exchange resources or are the backups failing with some error??

If there are errors then please provide the exact error from the job log.

And if Exchange resources are not seen then also let us know if you are able to see other resources like C:\ drive, System State, etc.

Thanks

-Sush...

Giyora
Level 4

Hi, I successed to babkup 'exchange public folder' ,but i get error backing up Information Store: "V-79-57344-33925 - Error, Unable to open \\MAIN\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group because it is currently being backed up by another process." i studied article 'TECH33997' , but i dont backup any of 'shadow copy components'.

Sush---
Level 6
1. Confirm that Exchange Maintenance is not scheduled to run when a backup does.  For more information on this, review the following Microsoft Article:

Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange 2000 Server information store maintenance and online defragmentation
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324358/en-us

2. If NT Backup is scheduled to backup an Exchange Information Store at the same time Backup Exec does, Backup Exec may not successfully backup all the data via the Exchange Agent, and a corrupt file exception will show in the job log.  An entry, similar to the following, will also show in the job log, if the file system on the Exchange Server is selected for backup:

Unable to open the item \\Exchange Server\E:\backups\exchange.bkf - skipped.

A skipped bkf file indicates that NT Backup Exec is running an active backup to that file. To resolve the issue with the Exchange Backup not completing successfully, make sure NT Backup is not backing up Exchange at the same time the Backup Exec Backup Job is running.  

3. If the backup continues to fail even with NTBackup, run an Exchange Utility such as ESEUtil to possibly resolve the issue and open a support case with Microsoft if necessary.  For more information, review the following Microsoft Articles:

How to use Eseutil to test transaction log files for damage in Exchange 2000 Server and in Exchange Server 2003
XADM: Exchange 2000 Server Eseutil Command Line Switches
Note:Symantec recommends contacting Microsoft for assistance running consistency checks on the Exchange database, to confirm the health of the Exchange server.

Thanks,
-Sush...

Giyora
Level 4
Dear Sush, 1. I changed the maintenance scheduled not to run when backup does,Although it did not disturbed when i run Backup Exec 11d. - we'll see tomorrow. 2. I do not use NT backup at all. Best Regards. Giyora

Sush---
Level 6

Another point I wanted to mention here is the use of Advanced Open File Option (AOFO).

From the Job log it seems that AOFO is enabled. Its highly not recommended to use AOFO specially for Exchange 2003 backups due to many limitations.

Check this technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44580 = Limitations of snapshot backup of Exchange 2003 databases

Thanks,

-Sush...

Giyora
Level 4
Hi Sush, How do i disable AOFO ? As u see the attach AOFO is disabled at the backup job. Thank's Giyora

Sush---
Level 6

From the above snapshot it confirms that its disabled. Sorry my bad as looked for the server PRIORITYSRV in the Job log which actually seems to be different server (may be Win 2008 which by default uses VSS)

Thanks,

-Sush...