cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange problem when backing up to File

Moggyman
Level 4

Hi

I've been using an old copy of BExec 11d for ages and backing up quite happily to tape until recently.  I was asked to change the backup media from tape to file and have created a target directory on a NAS to hold the backup files.  Everything seems OK until the backup job gets to backup a remote Exchange 2003 server.  It then fails with an error which (according to the website link provided) suggests it is down to having the Exchange 'granularity' option selected and the target drive for the backup not being an NTFS volume local to the BExec Server.

I'd like to keep the granularity option if I can so I wondered if anyone could suggest a workaround (I tried creating a mapped drive of the NAS storage area local to the BExec Server to try and fool it but BExec doesn't show the mapped drive when selecting the target for the Backup-to-disk media type) or whether the newer versions of BExec overcome this and it would be worth upgrading?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You got to check the HCL for BE 11d to make sure that your NAS is a supported device for B2D folder.  If it is not supported, you got to upgrade your BE to use it.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You would need to backup to local NTFS volume to resovle this issue .

Edit @ definatly upgrading the server to the newer version would help and also have look on the compatibility chart for the supported NAS devices for backup to disk .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You got to check the HCL for BE 11d to make sure that your NAS is a supported device for B2D folder.  If it is not supported, you got to upgrade your BE to use it.

Moggyman
Level 4

Thanks for that.  The rest of the backup job goes on to the NAS OK so there doesn't seem to be a compatibility issue per se.  The only problem is the backup up the remote Exchange server with the granularity option set.  I need to use the NAS as it's a RAID box and offers a bit of security.  The only way  I can see of backing it up to file on a volume local to the BExec server would be to plug in an external USB disk which isn't an ideal solution.

I wondered if anyone did a similar backup to disk with Exchange using a more recent BExec - I can't justify the expense if it's going to do exactly the same thing.

Thanks

Moggyman
Level 4

Can you point me in the direction of the HCL please?

Would this help with the Exchange backup problem?

Thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

here the HCL for 11d

URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46703 ..

you can also use the backup to disk tool

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107 .

At the moment to resolve your exchange backup problem , you would need to disable the GRT if you are running backup to NAS   and run GRT backup only to Tape

Moggyman
Level 4

Many thanks.

Our NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS 2100) isn't on the list so I guess that explains a lot.  I checked the HCL for BExec 2010 and it seems they have actually tested that exact model with the granular restore function and it gets the thumbs up.  I'll see if I can do a trial first though - just in case!

Appreciate your help.

Moggyman
Level 4

On second reading of the 2010 HCL I'm not so sure!  It claims to be GRT-OK tested when the comms between the NAS and the BExec server is through either iSCSI or CIFS.  Apologies if this is a dumb question but does this mean that this will work in my setup where the BExec Server and NAS are just two devices on the LAN and not physically connected together as BExec 11d is asking for?

Thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well using ISCSI you can configure a additional volume on the server. Using ISCSI initiator your configure a lun which points to NAS device . So the volume which is mapped show up as a local voulme and all the command to write to the disk are sent via LAN.

Moggyman
Level 4

I hadn't heard of iSCSI before I read the HCL.  Can you explain in simple terms what it is exactly before I start googling it and maybe get totally confused??

Thanks

Moggyman
Level 4

I've read a little and think I get it - it's just a fancy way of saying that you can get networked targets i.e. a NAS to appear as if they are local to where the Initiator is installed?  Sorry but what is a 'lun'?

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Only way I can think of around this (and it may also choke, I've never attempted it) would be to do your original B2D to an HD local to the media server, and then duplicate to the NAS

I'd also definitely suggest an upgrade to the current version of BackupExec if/when the budget will allow

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Logical unit number using which the drive is mapped via ISCSI initiator . This luns are genrated by the by the OS installed on NAS .. For eg openfiler

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Our NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS 2100) isn't on the list so I guess that explains a lot

Not really.

In v11d, a B2D GRT enabled backup HAD to be targeted to disk local to the media server.  No if, ands, or buts

Hence my suggestion to try B2D to a local drive and then Duplicate to the NAS.  And that may fail for the exactly the same reason

Moggyman
Level 4

Thanks all.