cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange restore error - An error occurred when attempting to perform decryption operation

FHPC_MCostello
Not applicable

Here's the deal:  I'm using BE 11d and trying to restore an exchange mailbox onto remote server using the remote agent.  The data to be restored is encrypted my BE on a DLT.  When the restore runs, I get this err msg: 

An error occurred when attempting to perform decryption operation

Okay then.  I searched google for answers and came up empty (although there was one guy who posted this

I contacted Symanted support and got this information from them: 

Hi Michael,

I do understand that you have backed up the exchange for months using the encryption, I would recommend that if your server is still up and running properly, please go for a full backup of the information store one more time without encryption.

I am sending you a technote which would help in this : http://support.veritas.com/docs/283427 

Please read the following in regards to the above technote :

23. What are some of the requirements and considerations when using GRT?

·                       Backups must be done to local B2D folder on the Media Server.

·                       B2D folder must be on a local NTFS volume because of the filter driver used.

·                       When creating a backup job, make sure a B2D folder is explicitly selected.

·                       Enabling BE Encryption is not recommended. If encryption is needed, OS encryption at the B2D folder level is a better option.

·                       Database files are backed up in native file format (*.EDB). Suggest customers put an ACL on the B2D folder to prevent unauthorized-authorized access.

·                       Must Use Policies for Incremental backups of Exchange.

·                       Only Exchange supports Incremental backups.

·                       Granular restore from tape, while supported, requires a two-stage restore.

·                       Not backwards compatible with previous versions of BE or CPS.

·                       Granular recovery of Active Directory items of a x64 bit Domain Controller from a 32bit Media Server is not supported.

·                       SharePoint 2003 installed on a Windows x64 server or using SQL 2005 x64-bit is not supported.

·                       Microsoft Exchange granular recovery is not supported.

Also while setting up a new backup job please refer to the following technote which are the

Best practices for exchange backup : http://support.veritas.com/docs/285753

Is there a way that to recover the months and months of backups that I have already encrypted with BE11d?

Thanks in advance.

- Mike

2 REPLIES 2

makking
Level 2

Did you ever find a solution to reading your exchange data off a BE11d encrypted tape?  I am running into the same thing.  I find it very disturbing that Symantec would produce a product like this, and allow backup jobs to run successfully under an unsupported configuration without throwing any kind of error or warning. 

Does anyone know if Symantec fixed this in version 12?  All I want to be able to do is backup Exchange 2003 to tape using BE's own encryption scheme and then do a restore.  Is that so hard?

Thanks for any help

Mark_Forsyth
Level 2

Hi Makking, did you actually find a solution? I have exactly the same issue and am not happy about it. I have a backup of Exchange 2003 that I cannot use as it can't be decrypted even using the same key details. I need to restore the Exchange server backup. Any help would be so appreciated!