cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exec view 6.1 restore from tape help

GreenyIT
Level 3

I am trying to restore data from a old backup tape the tape is a "LTO Ultrium 1"

I have the old tape drive installed on a old server turned desktop PC running windows 7 32bit. 

I can see the tape drive in device manager but not under removable storage under My Computer.

I installed the old software they had from 1996 Exec View to try and recover the data off the tape. I also installed Backup Exec 2014 trial to try and get the data off the tape as well. I cannot seem to find where to go for the software to see or find the tape? I have never used any of this software before if someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

My objective here is to restore data from a few old LTO 1 tapes the server it used to run on is no longer in service. 

Thanks Greeny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GreenyIT
Level 3

Nevermind I figured it out. I just had to click on the server name and restore tab finally became ungreyed. I am restoring files now. Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You cannot load BE 2014 on Windows 7. You need a server class OS starting with Server 2003 R2 to load BE 2014. See the SCL below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478 As for your tape drive, check the HCL below to make sure it is supported http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214803 Exec View is so old it will not work with Windows 7. Also, it is used by users to restore files from file archives. Without the archives, this is useless

GreenyIT
Level 3

I have a copy of Windows Server 2003. Would you suggest the easiest way for me to get data off the tapes is to load server 2003 on my server and use the 2014 trial version?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...BE 2014 might also not be able to restore data from those tapes to be honest. 1996 would mean still in the Windows NT Server days...not even on Windows 2000.

Best to try load NT on an old server somewhere and try the restore that way.

Otherwise you'll most likely have to try loading BE 2014 on a supported OS and then catalog the tape before attempting the restore.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It must be Server 2003 R2, not just Server 2003. Also you must check whether your tape drive is supported. This is your best hope. You got to hope that your tape is still readable after all these years

GreenyIT
Level 3

Thanks guys will try loading server 2003 R2 and backup exec 2014 and see if I can catalog the tape. Will let you know results. Thanks again.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you install 2003 R2 you might find that NT Backup can read the tape without you having to install Backup Exec (worth a try as it may save some time)

Bacially NT Backup Uses MTF as the format to write to tape, Backup Exec uses the same format, so as long as Encryption or a media Passwords are not involved (Encryption won't be as that was a feature of a much later version) then NTbackup could read Backup Exec tapes (and vice-versa)

Some of your terms are puzzling me though as LTO-1 was apparently generally available in 2000, Seagate Backup Exec 6.x was available from 1996 but I guess might have still beeen in use in 2000 event though 7.x was released in 1998. Exec View was just a managememt interface that could be used with some versions of Backup Exec. I am guessing that this mix up of terms in your description is down to the exact details being no longer available.

GreenyIT
Level 3

So here is where I am with this. I could not installed server 2003 R2 on my server for issues we will not get into. I was able to install server 2008 SP2.

I installed Backup exec 2014 Trial version. I went to the JOBS tab and it does see the tape. As I am unfamiliar with backup exec I am not sure what to press at this point to get the data off the tape.

I attached a screen shot of what I am looking at. If someone can tell me what to press at this points.

Thanks  

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In the storage tab Inventory and then Catalog the tape.

After that has finished go to the Backup and Restore tab and you should be able to select the server object and then start the restore wizard.

GreenyIT
Level 3

Okay I was able to inventory and catalog the tape.

I am now on the backup and restore tab but I am not sure where to go from here to get the data from the catalog I just created.

I attached 2 screen shots to what I am currently looking at.

The catalog name is catalog00002

GreenyIT
Level 3

Nevermind I figured it out. I just had to click on the server name and restore tab finally became ungreyed. I am restoring files now. Thanks