cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ExecView Communications Module(ECM) STOPS

Chris_Small
Level 3
Hi there, We use BE9.1 on server 2003, we backup 3 servers a dc, fs, and exchange.

Recently over the past couple of weeks the scheduled backjob has not been completing.

We have it set to back up about 7.oopm every night and when i come in and check it in the morning it has backed up just about everything, but the job shows itself as queued.

The only way for me to clear the queued job is to stop all services and restart them. 9 when i stop the services i notice that the ExecView Communications Module service is already stopped.

JOB LOG

Backup - F: Shared AreasThe media operation was terminated by the user.
Error reading file data.
Error reading file data.
Media mount failed.
User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.

Job completion status: Canceled by service shutdown

Here is the Job log for our F: on the file server.

Set type : BackupSet status : CompletedSet description : Thursday Full Backup
Resource name : \\RUT-FS01\F:Logon account : System Logon Account
Error : a000810f - User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.

Agent used : YesAdvanced Open File Option used : Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)Image used : No

Any help on this is muchly appreciated. If you require any other information please let me know what.

Thanks
Chris Small
3 REPLIES 3

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
The ECM service is not critical for Backup Exec. This is the module that talks to the EIS (ExecView Information Server). If you use ExecView to monitor your backups then this service needs to be started, otherwise it doesn't matter if it's stopped.

As far as your backups showing up in a queued status, are there any alerts? You say the backup has backed up just about everything, how much data is being backed up before it stays in a queued state?

Going by the error "Media mount failed" it looks like the tape fills up and is asking for a second tape, so it queues until it sees a new overwritable tape in the drive.

Chris_Small
Level 3
Ok thats good to know.

Basicallay it backs up about 110gb of data before it queues up.

We have a multi changer tape deck, which holds 10 backup tapes.

The Size of the tapes we use is 50gb native/130gb compressed.

I have the backup set to backup each day using 2 tapes per day, which would probably say that you are correct and it queues because there is no over tape to use.

yet it backs up 110gb of data?

If so and this is the case why it queues up after backing up the full amount usage of the tape, how could i get it to backup all of the data on 2 50gb native tapes or, is there a way to set it so that it compresses the data as it backsup ( is this a good idea?)

or would we have to purchase bigger backup tapes to do this.

Thanks for your help on this my main question has been answered. but will leave this post open untill you get back to me, with options etc.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

An error "Media mount failed. User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation." , error may occur when:

--Job exceeds capacity of media
--A cartridge is not inserted in the Backup Device
--The cartridge cannot be loaded by the robotic arm
--An internal or stand alone drive will not accept the media
--The cartridge is protected by overwrite or append periods
-- Hardware, bad media or incorrect driver

Refer the following technote for more information:

Technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/246967

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.