cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export/Import/Consolidate Selction Lists and Policies

Warren_Rowe
Level 3
Hi,
Is there a way to export selections lists and policy definitions so that I can import them onto another server.

I have tried BEMCMD but the -o507 option does export the selections lists in a format that is usable by the -o220 option.

Also I can't use the save server configuration option in the BEUTILITY because I want to combine selections lists from two servers onto one new one. Please correct me if I am wrong on this one.

Kind Regards, Warren
5 REPLIES 5

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Can you please elaborate, what exactly you would like to do ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Warren_Rowe
Level 3
I would like to migrate a complex set of selection lists from two existing BEMSs to one new BEMS with a minimum of effort.

I would also like to migrate a set of policies from the same two existing BEMSs to the new BEMS. There are less policies than selection lists so this is a lower priority.

Hope the helps,

Warren

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote below on copy media server configuration:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274778

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
I don't think he wants to copy the whole BE server's configuration (including tape devices, media sets, & jobs) he just wants to copy selection lists and policies.

To copy just selection lists and policies from one BE server to another the two BE servers must be on the same network and a common logon or service account, and must have the Copy Server Configurations feature installed on both machines.
To install the Copy server Configuration feature (not sure why this isn't a default) go to Tools -> Serial Numbers and Installation and run through the installation again but make sure to enable the feature "Copy Server Configurations"

Now on your source server you should be able to right click on a selection list and choose copy -> Copy to other Media Servers and select the destination BE server. Same with policies.

Notes:
If a selection list exists on the destination server that has the same name as the source list you wish to copy, it will be overwritten. Also, if you copy policies be sure to put schedules on hold of the source to prevent two backups of a client happening at the same time (your source BE server and the BE server you copied will both fire off the jobs at the same time)

Hope this was of some help...

Warren_Rowe
Level 3
Thanks guys, both of your answers were somewhat helpful.

It is worth noting that if apply the configuration settings from two servers to one new server, using BEUTILITY, it appends the settings not replaces them therefore it can be used to consolidate media server settings.

The one drawback is that both methods do NOT translate local selections into remote selections based upon the server name of the resource.

Hypothetical Scenario: I installed BEMS on my primary file server. Most of the jobs on this BEMS are for local data. Due to the data structure (i.e. its all on one disk in hundreds of evenly sized directories) and BE's inability to utilise more than one tape drive per resource/job, I have had to break the jobs into smaller chunks using the directories via includes and excludes. This leaves me with lots of complex selection lists but very manageable backups.

The file server has grown significantly and my tape devices are causing havoc with my file server during production hours. Management have decreed that I can no longer connect the libraries to this server so I am forced to implement a dedicated BEMS.

So I need to migrate my selections (which specify local data) to the new server where upon they will need to be converted to remote selections.

This is a hypothetical scenario just to prove my point so please ignore all issues to do with remote network-based backups being slower, fixing the issues instead of circumventing etc etc etc...

If you dump the selections using BEMCMD -o507 all of the data is there but it is not in a format that is acceptable to BEMCMD -o220. What would be great is if Veritas (or any clever script kiddie) came up with a utility for parsing the output from the BEMCMD -o507 command so that it could be used by the BEMCMD -o220 command.

Cheers, Warren