cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme slow backup

Adam_Yiu
Level 2
Dear All,

I've brand new install 12.5 with all updated , but one of my remote windows agent ruuning windows 2000 server (100mbps interface card) only have 34mb/min job rate??? it sound wired...anyone can help?

Media server: Win2003 with HP LTO 4 backup device

Agent server: Win2000 with AOF install.

Thanks,
Adam 

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
That sounds about right with that speed. What does the server do, and when are you running your backups? You can make sure that your NICs are hard-coded to 100FULL, along with the ports on the switch that they're attached too.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
(100mbps interface card) only have 34mb/min job rate???

100Mb NIC is 12.5 MB sec , so a throughput of 34 MB/min is really on the slow side.  it hsa been a while but I seem to remember averages in the 120-139MB.min range over 100Mb switched network

as Craig says, verify that the NICs/Seitch ports are all hard-coded, not set to AutoNegotiate

Also check for fragmentation on the Disk(s) for that server.  severerly fragmented source disks can also kill throughput.

Adam_Yiu
Level 2
Dear All,

Thanks for your help.

For my network switch which is running on the 1GB and media server (2003) running 1GB nic, only the win 2000 server running 100mb nic. And all hard code to the full duplex. Backup start @ 9pm every night and I got crazy it only goes 3mb/mins today.....

I will try to do the dragment later on.....

Thanks again,
Adam