cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Final error: 0x79 - The semaphore timeout period has expired. ??

Robert_Cibrario
Level 3
Just received:
"Failed Final error: 0x79 - The semaphore timeout period has expired. Final error category: Other Errors"

However the only references I can find relate to Open File Option which I do not have running/enabled.

Can anyoine suggest another cause?
(BE 9.1 on Win2.3k Server Std)
thanks
6 REPLIES 6

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Please check the media set propertiesof the target media set.

Verify whether there any active alerts in the "Alerts" tab.

Please refer to the following document

When performing a backup operation, a device "request to space to end of data" or "semaphore timeout" or a "SCSI bus timeout" error is generated.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/190598

Hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Robert_Cibrario
Level 3
Thanks greatly for the advise - I'll check all shortly and report back.
rc

Robert_Cibrario
Level 3
VBE indicated only three such failures (all in on week) - all other jobs since May completed (with or without exception -> bypassed an application lock file).

I forgot to check the alerts tab - I'll do that soon. However I did use the technote you referenced:
1) latest driver already installed
2) updated Exabyte fw to v1a109 from v1a108
3) Exabyte control and VXA-2 drive using SCSI IDs 0 & 1
4) Adaptec 29160LP controller using SCSI ID 7
5) could not find means to check/change INITIATE SYNC NEGOTIATION for drive in Adaptec SCSI BIOS console
6) INITIATE WIDE NEGOTIATION set to yes for all target IDs in Adaptec SCSI BIOS console - Sync Transfer Rate set to 160MB/s. Turning feature off caused BIUOS console to step down Sync Transfer Rate set to 40MB/s.

Net:
- I did not check for any pending alerts
- I did not turn off Initiate Wide Negotiation nor slowed down the (max) Sync Transfer Rate
- Left Exabyte SCSI IDs at 0 & 1

Is it your guidance to observe subsequent operation (tonight being first since my review) or should I change the items you mentioned regardless?

thanks
rc

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Do keep an eye on the "Alerts" tab and ensure that the Media Set Properties are correctly set.

i.e. If the job is set to "overwrite" a particular tape verify whether the tape is actually overwritable and is not not "overwrite protected".

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Robert_Cibrario
Level 3
Will do.

As for other settings I prefer to keep transfer rate as high as possible - perhaps I can extend the SCSI time-out period a bit? Can you advise?

btw, the first (incremental) backup finishhed successfully last evening.
thansk again
rc

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Refer these technotes to configure SCSI settings and transfer rate:

How to resolve SCSI bus timeouts
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191158.htm

How to resolve hardware communication/detection issues with Backup Exec
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237047

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.