cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem when adding serial number

Cody_Lo
Level 3
I have the similar symptom described in the document http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267742.htm but no luck after I follow the workaround instruction. The Installer simply disappear when every I click on "Tools" > "Serial Numbers and Installation". The same happen when I try to launch the installer from Add/Remove program, the installer window just blink for less than half second and gone, I cannot add the new serial number. Any clues ? Any hints will be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
go and check BKUPINST.log in C:\windows or c:\winnt
(depending on your OS)
Check whether you find an entry like " unable to create ... file exists"
If yes, simply manually delete the file in question and afterwards it should work.

If you can not find this - maybe you can find another hint in the bkupinst.log

regards

uz

Cody_Lo
Level 3
There is nothing interest in the bkupinst.log, the log just have the time everytime I try to click the "Tools" > "Serial Numbers and Installation" option but nothing logged. What I did before may possibly result to this, is that I have used BE10 setup installer to install the remote agent to the new server. I have seen the add/remove serial number page before but the page can't shown after this.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Have you tried to install Be v 10.0 on the same server on which you have installed BE v9.0?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Cody_Lo
Level 3
No, we didn't try to install BE10 on the server which have BE9 installed since we are not going to upgrade the BE9 server to BE10. THe licenses we currently have is for BE9 and we are probably not going to purchasing upgrade. To make the scence more clear, let me try to list out what I have did see if I did anything wrong :

-Using the BE10 setup downloaded from veritas.com to install the remote agent to the new server we just bought.

-The remote server restarted and we can see the new service installed and the service listening to TCP/10000.

-Try to backup the files in the remote server from the browser in the BE backup job setup dialog. When I try to expand the remote computer, it told me to install the key.

-I have go to "Tools" > "Serial Numbers and Installation" and the installer just blink for less than half second and gone. I tried many times but no luck.

The problem now seem to be the "Tools" > "Serial Numbers and Installation" thing. I guess I need a serial number for BE9 since the one we purchased is for BE10 and should not able to use in BE9, I will contact support for a key.

Anything wrong with my steps ? Please kindly advice. Thanks!

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

To correct the registration of the Windows Installer, unregister and then register the installer service using the command line switches shown below. This shuts down and re-registers the service, which assures that the Windows Installer engine should function properly.

Run the following commands from a command prompt:
1. msiexec /unregister
2. msiexec /regserver

If this fails to resolve the issue, try performing the following procedure to reinstall the installer service:
1. Unregister Windows Installer:
msiexec /unregister

2. Rename the following files from the command prompt:Msi.dll, Msiexec.exe, and Msihnd.dll
(Change the names to msi.dll.bak, msiexec.exe.bak and msind.dll.bak respectively)

3. Restart Windows

4. Install the Windows Installer service again (InstMSI.exe) from the Backup Exec Software CD (PATH= Build\Winnt\Install\BE\InstMSI.exe)
OR download from the Microsoft Web site ( http://www.microsoft.com )

The Installation Wizard should open successfully after the installation is complete.

Related TechNote from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315346

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.