cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed backup - error code E00084ED

esco
Level 4

hello

I am using symantec backup exec 2010 to backup a data of around 4GB. I have a a scheduled backup job which runs on every monday. It has been working perfect for the past year. But now I am getting an error when I try to backup.

And after the failed backup the tapes are marked as Not Appendable (End Marker unreadable). Are the data on this tapes are safe.

Here is the error I get in the adamm file

======================================================================

This error signifies controller errors. These errors are generally caused by hardware that is not functioning correctly. To resolve these errors, try the following actions:

- Slow the SCSI bus.
- Verify that the latest SCSI drivers and firmware are loaded.

If these errors continue to occur, contact the hardware manufacturer.
[4508] 06/26/12 09:16:55.941 The following event was reported on 6/26/2012 9:02:16 AM:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1.
--------------------
This error signifies controller errors. These errors are generally caused by hardware that is not functioning correctly. To resolve these errors, try the following actions:

- Slow the SCSI bus.
- Verify that the latest SCSI drivers and firmware are loaded.

If these errors continue to occur, contact the hardware manufacturer.
[6228] 06/26/12 09:27:38.897 DeviceIo: 03:00:04:00 - Device error 1117 on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 4d, 1 total errors
[6228] 06/26/12 09:27:44.086 PvlDrive::DisableAccess() - ReserveDevice failed, offline device
       Drive = 1008 "HP 0003"
       ERROR = 0x0000001F (ERROR_GEN_FAILURE)

[6228] 06/26/12 09:27:44.136 PvlDrive::UpdateOnlineState()
       Drive = 1008 "HP 0003"
       ERROR = The device is offline!

[6228] 06/26/12 09:27:44.136 Begin dump of device's SCSI history

SCSI: Capture dropped 11767 events (1605813 bytes) from 03:00:04:00

==============================

5 REPLIES 5

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This surely seems to be a hardware failure. The data on those tapes which is marked as "Unreadable" is surely not in consistent state.

Check this technote for further hardware troubleshooting

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414 : How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library (autoloader/changer) and/or Tape Drive(s)

If you have a support contract with hardware vendor then I would suggest you to contact them too.

Thanks,

-Sush...

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Is you tape drive connected to a raid controller card ?

Tape libraries or tape drives attached to a RAID controller are not supported.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5181

Check if there is any tape stuck in the drive ?

Try updating the drivers for the tape drive and also update the SCIS card drivers . Make sure you reboot the drive and the backup server properly .

Removable storage service should be disabled .

IF you still have issue you need to contact the hardware vendor.

esco
Level 4

thank you Sush...i have contacted the hardware vendor and they are working on it...i will post what they say here

esco
Level 4

Actually we have been doing backup for a year and it happend suddenly...so can it be due to raid contrioller as you say RahulG

and since I have been doing backups the drivers seems to be working good before...i have already asked the hardware vendors help...will update you once i get an answer

thank you

esco
Level 4

I have consulted the hardware vendor...and according to them it is a software issue...hence is there any way i can determine the its either software or hardware

Now i am trying to backup to a folder on the same server...but when i go to create a new backup job i dont see my other servers listed

...but i know i have remote utility installed on 3 servers in my network