cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email notifications alerts don't arrive.

snikeoff
Level 2

We've got several backup exec servers (12.5 and 2010) over windows server 2008 in our lan and it usually worked well. 6 months ago the change our external email service and the email notification stopped to  work. We have a mdaemon server 10 and we haven't problems with the other emails in our local company, It's odd because it doesn't work the testing emails and the 

I've tried almost everything checking the antivirus filters, the firewall rules, router rules.. and all seem to be well configurated. I've configurated an outlook account in the server and I hadn't any problem, I could send and receive mails perfeclty. And the servers are in the same lan , all locally, without putting trough a firewall, adsl...

Sometimes if I restart the backup exec services one arrives to an email account but the rest of them won't never arrive.

The logs of mdaemon shows a winsock error 10053, 10054 ...that is, the mdaemon receives the email alert but it drops for the same backup exec server or for something on the network that is tampering the email alerts.

but it's strange that no backup exec program sends properly, if it was only one server it could be the antivirus, someting of the content filters of antivirus, someting that it's tampering the 25 port... but it affects to every server with backup exec installed.

pd: the copies works great.

3 REPLIES 3

karan_I
Level 2
Employee

Hi,

When you moved to the new email system, did you also enable EMAIL SMTP authentication on the server side?  

Thanks,

Karan I

snikeoff
Level 2

yes, we enabled email notifications.

We use the email server for the company notificacations and all of them have request notification.

And we didn't moved to a new email system, we only changed the mail service provider.

karan_I
Level 2
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your clarification. There is a known issue with the following versions of Backup Exec that the the Email notifications are not sent if SMTP authentication is enabled:

• 2010 .R2, 2010
  • 12.5, 12.0
  • 11d (11.0) 7170, 11d (11.0)

Please refer to http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53320 for more details on this.

The solution for this problem is addressed in the latest release of Backup Exec 2012. 

Thanks and Regards,

Karan I