cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed job: Backup shared folders on other server without an agent

hendrik_highwav
Level 3
Hello BE people,

I recently installed BE10 for SBS on a SBS2003 server.
The userfiles (usershares) of our company are placed on a different W2K server. On this W2K server I do not have a remote BE agent.

On the SBS 2003 BE server I am suffering a problem with backupping the user shares on the other server.

The status of the job is failed. The notification I get is: Error: A failure occurred accessing the SnapShot handle.

The following explanation is given:
The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine SERVER. The machine could not be found on the network. The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation. Unable to initialize Remote Agent.

NOTE: The BE server does (!) backup the shared files on the other W2K server, but still says the backup has failed!

In the options in BE on the SBS server I selected:
- enable selection of default shares
- enable selection of user shares
- agent TCP/IP is switched off (because I have none)

I have two questions:

1) Can someone give me an explanation for the failed job?
2) Do I need a remote agent for the other server? I only want to backup the shared folders, not the complete server.

Thanks for you time. Best regards.

Hendrik
The Netherlands
10 REPLIES 10

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
The backup failed because BE couldn't do an AOFO snapshot of the W2K share.
To be able to use AOFO on the remote server you need to have the remote agent installed.

To be able to backup remote Windows servers successfully you it needs to have the Remote Agent installed on it.

Mohammed_Anwaru
Level 3
Yes you require a remote agent to back it up. the best thing i would suggest is to have a open file agent which includes a windows remote agent. Well veritas backup doesnt backup the files if the fies are on shared folder without a remote agent installed on it. It needs to have agent in order to backup your files of users on shared folder. Open file is best option you can use as you might get access denied errors if some one is accessing the file. Make sure if SBS supports purchase of additionale remote agents. Not familiar with that.

Regards

Michael_Ivanov
Level 2
Does it mean Backup exec 10 needs remote agent for any network share?

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Depends on what network share you are talking about - if the share is on a Windows server OS then it needs a remote agent license.
Any other type of share does not.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

You need to have a remoe agent installed on the remote server whether you want to backup the whole server or the shares.

-You get the following error
"A failure occurred accessing the SnapShot handle"

This error may occur when "Use Advanced Open File Option" (AOFO) is selected in the backup job properties, however the AOFO is either not licensed within the product, or the target system does not have the AOFO software installed.

For AOFo to be installed on remote server you need to install the remote agent.

Hope this resolves your query.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

The following links may be helpful,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253058.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265736.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Michael_Ivanov
Level 2
thank you. I still have question. I am trying to backup network shares on windows 2000 pro and XP. Still have same problem - when I check "resource credentials" - I got success on share itself and an error on "computer" resource. Do I need special client or settings on workstations too?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

1. Please install remote agent on Win XP and Win Professional
2. For test purposes do not select the AOFO option
3. Then create a new backup and then verify

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Michael_Ivanov
Level 2
I works after istallation remote agent. But I thought it shoud work without an agent?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned by you in your last reply that after installing remote agent on that system, you were able to take backups. Please understand that even if its a workstation, remote agent is must to be able to do backup or restore of it.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.