cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to Access Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes - PLEASE HELP

bfoglia3717
Level 3
Hello,

Any help you guys could give me on this would be most appreciated. 
We just recently bought a new Exchange Server and I have not been able to get the mailboxes on it to back up.  Everytime I go to select Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes or Public Folders it pops up a window saying:

Failed to access Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Logon account : Administrator... Access is denied.
I deployed an agent to the new exchange server.

The Administrator account (of course) has admin rights as well as domain admin and exchange admin.
I have ensured that the account used to connect to Exchange in not hidden in the Gloabl address list.
I have tried creating a new account and following the instructions given on these forums as to how exactly to create the account and what rights to give it and all the proceedures.  Unfortunately, I still get the same error.
I am thinking it might be a license issue because the old exchange box is still on the network and if I click the box for Exchange Mailboxes on that server there is no problem. 

Should I uninstall the Exchange Agent and try reinstalling it?
What do I need to do to get backupexec to use the exchange agent on the new server instead of the old one.

I am at such a loss right now, I feel like I have tried everything.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Brian
4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Brian,

I'm curious to why you are trying to use the Legacy method to backup the mailboxes?  The reason I ask this is because with 11d and above you no longer need to backup the mailboxes/public folders seperately.  You can backup just the information store(s) and then restore individual data from there.

Have you tried to use the Granular Restore backups of Exchange yet?

Not trying to ignore the error you are having, it might just take a while to figure out exactly where the issue is.  In backup Exec go to Tools - Options - Microsoft Exchange and uncheck the box for Enable Legacy Mailbox support. Then go back into your backup job and only select the Information Store(s) for backup. Make sure the Exchange options of the job that the Granular Restore option is selected.  After that completes look at the restore selections for the Information Store(s) and see if you can drill down to the mailbox level.  Also, when you are selecting the store(s) for backup you will not be able to drill down into them.

--Ben

bfoglia3717
Level 3
Ben,

Thanks for your reply.  I will try your recommendations tonight and let you know how it went tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your help,

Brian

bfoglia3717
Level 3
Ok, the backup didnt go through but after messing around it looks like I am good for tonight.  I did a test backup and it gave me the green light... errrr green check mark.

So hopefully everything goes through tonight and then I will check to see if the mailboxes got backed up.

Thank you again very much for your help,

Brian

bfoglia3717
Level 3
Ok, so everything backed up fine except the Exchange Information Store.
I received a message that my backup failed, here was the error it gave me:

Error : e0008488 - Access is denied
For additional information regarding this error refer to V-79-57344-33928

I went through that entire article and still it fails when trying to just backup the information store.

When I go into my backup job and select resource credentials then put the user I created called backup as the login account for Exchange and then test it, it tells me Sucessful for Exchange and for First Storge Group it tells me Sucessful - Used Server Credentials
The backup user has admin rights as well as well as being added to both exchange groups and I have added the account to the Exchange Server under delegate control.
I have added the user as a local admin to the exchange server.
I have recently updated Backup Exec from version 64(something) to 7170

I am not sure what else to do, any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian