cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File exclusions on a per backup basis.

Mark_Barnes_3
Level 3
Hi

I need to exclude files from different backups.

What I need to achieve is Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur back up everything except MPG,AVI,JPG etc
Fri backup everything.

This is because mon-fri backups are going over the 10 hour slot from 10pm to 8am because we are backing up these files. Friday doesn't matter if the backup goes overtime because no one works Saturday. Our daily backup is 15 hours ATM which causes slowdowns in the morning.

Is this possible with Veritas 10?
4 REPLIES 4

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
I think you just need two selection lists and two backup jobs: one for mon-thurs, and one for all files on friday.

To make the selection list for mon-thurs, start out by making the same selections as the friday job. Then click the Advanced button.:

Select the same path, but insert *.mpg for the file and click the exclude radio button.

Repeat for all the file types you want excluded.

When you are done, click on the Text view format and you should see a series of lines that read

\*.* /SUBDIR
\*.MPG /SUBDIR /EXCLUDE
\*AVI /SUBDIR /EXCLUDE

etc, etc.

Create a mon- thurs job using this selection list. Use the test run feature to see how much less data you will be backing up.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

The following technote explains the same procedure posted in the previous reply:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264628

Chris_Fielding
Level 4
Above answers your questions but are you really going to knock 5 hours off by removing these file types? I'd suggest you look at your backup structure as a larger picture and maybe think about differential during the week and full on a Friday.

How much data are you backing up? What Job rate rate are you getting MB per min?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

Regards,