cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files being skipped.

Richard_Brady
Level 2
Hello,

I do not understand why certain files are being skipped. The files are SQL related, but are not being used at the time of the backup. The backup server is the server in which the SQL database is located. below is the messages from the log file.

My server running Veritas is a Windows 2003 server and Veritas is Ver 9.1 4691. I am using an IBM Totalstorage 3581 L38 LTO-3 Ultrium tape drive.

Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MIP_ENGINE\Data\master.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MIP_ENGINE\Data\mastlog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MIP_ENGINE\Data\model.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MIP_ENGINE\Data\modellog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MIP_ENGINE\Data\tempdb.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MIP_ENGINE\Data\templog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$NPS_PRO\Data\master.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$NPS_PRO\Data\mastlog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$NPS_PRO\Data\model.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$NPS_PRO\Data\modellog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$NPS_PRO\Data\tempdb.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$NPS_PRO\Data\templog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\CPL.CFG - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb - skipped.
The .DR file required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is created/updated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rich B
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As long as SQL Server is running, the ldf and mdf files are "in use"

You need to either use the SQL dump to create bkf files on a hard drive, and grab those, or use the SQLAgent to get a "hot" backup of SQL

Richard_Brady
Level 2
Thanks for the help Ken, I will track down a copy of SQL Agent for ver 9.1.

- Rich B

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Richard,

Regarding the wins file, you can either:
run a pre-job command, "net stop wins", and then post job "net start wins", or de-select the file, since you can always rebuild a WINS database.

I beleive the cpl file is related to the license logging service, same workaround for WINS applies.

Regarding the SQL databases, do you need them backed up, and how big are they? There may be other options.