cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Label Name on Devices Tab Not Refreshing Properly with Tape Change

Dragon_Point
Level 3
Whenever I manually eject a tape and insert a different one into our tape drive (DLT) using BE 10 SBS, the devices tab continues to show the previous tape name. I don't know that this is necessarily causing a problem, but I would expect the media name to change when a new tape is inserted. Restarting all BE 10 services allows me to see the correct name, but simply using the refresh option on the devices tab does not work. If I manually inventory the tape, the media name then shows the correct tape name.

The reason this concerns me is that this behavior is different from the way the previous version we were using worked (8.5). That version showed the correct media name automatically whenever the tape was changed.

As I mentioned, I don't know that this is necessarily a problem, but I'd like to find out if there is some configuration setting change that I should make to allow the software to automatically recognize the correct media in the drive without manual intervention.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Dragon_Point
Level 3
Bump for a response to this please.

Dragon_Point
Level 3
Are these forums actually moderated? If so, would someone kindly respond to my question? Thank you.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Whenever a new tape is introduced to BE, you need to perform an Inventory operation on the drive.

Are you using a library which has barcode reader installed?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Dragon_Point
Level 3
We do not have a barcode reader installed.

I understand that I can do a manual tape inventory.

Does this mean that I have to manually inventory the tape each day when I swap my backup tapes?

Does BE automatically inventory the tape in the drive when the backup operation begins?

Thank you.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Manually performing inventory is necessary if you are changing the tape in the slot.
Before a backup job starts the tape does get automatically inventoried.

Hope it helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Alan_Foley
Level 4
Assumes this is a standalone drive without robotics. If you examine the BEMCMD.exe file there is a commandline method to accomplish this:

Change to your installation of Backup Exec, from a command prompt can enter

BEMCMD -o117 -D -w
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can print the text out for all details, for the Commandline folks this is the best way to go.|

Dragon_Point
Level 3
Thanks Alan. This is a standalone tape drive. I will probably setup a desktop shortcut for the function you mention. That was very helpful.