cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0xa00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
I have been getting sporadic backup failures with the message "Final error: 0xa00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost" using Backup Exec 9.1.4691w SP2. The odd thing is that there are no problems with the network connections and the event viewer on the server shows no signs of losing connection. I turned on all file details in the job log and I notice that it is losing connection backing up a single 85GB file. Some days it can back it up and other days it can't. Is there a maximum time limit for Backup Exec to back up a single file? Does anyone have any suggestions?
18 REPLIES 18

Darko_M
Level 3
Jason, this problem is becoming more and more common. The question has popped up many times on this forum and the only answer Veritas employees will give you is to look at this article:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258159

Google also happens to return that as a first result. Go figure. It doesn't help.

Im experiencing the same problem with one of my customers and have only just begun troubleshooting it. I think we're gonna have to help eachother out because Veritas isn't resolving this one.

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
Yeah I got the same message from them the last time I asked for help on this problem. I did everything they suggested and still got nothing. I am going to call their Tech Support.

Darko_M
Level 3
How do you get the job log to display each file separately?

To top these problems off, my log viewer constantly throws XML errors and is only able to display plain text...

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
Go to Tools > Options > Job logs and click the Summary information, directories, files, and file details radio button.

I have noticed that it converts the XML to text if you are opening a larger log file.

Darko_M
Level 3
Thanks.

One similar thing between all these failures on my end is that the jobs always time out around the 27gb mark... and it was working fine for a while, and then stopped. Right now its day 10 of nothing but failed backups. Hopefully its one file causing it so we can narrow down the issue.

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
Given that yours is failing everyday at the same spot I would expect it is a specific problem file. Do you have any large files in the drive that failed?

Darko_M
Level 3
Im sure there are a couple of larger files on the drive, but the basic log does not give me an idea of where to look for them. I've enabled the detailed logging and will try another job shortly.

You mentioned your file is 80+ GB, I know I don't have any that are nearly that large.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

1. In tools-options-network what is the option that you have selected for network interface if it is use any avaialble network adapter or anything specific, if it is use any available please select a specific and then observe the result.

2. Are you using Advanced open file option?
if yes then try unselecting it and then observe the result

3 Are you taking local backups or remote backups ?
Try spliting the job and then observe the result.

4.Enable support for restrict anonymous with the help of the technote below on the local server and remote server:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/238618.htm

5. The file that you have mentioned does it exist?
If yes then to isolate take a backup of this file only and then verify
also try to exclude it from backup and then verify

Please update the results.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
> Hello,
>
> 1. In tools-options-network what is the option that
> you have selected for network interface if it is use
> any avaialble network adapter or anything specific,
> if it is use any available please select a specific
> and then observe the result.
>

I specified it to use the network adapter on the server.

> 2. Are you using Advanced open file option?
> if yes then try unselecting it and then observe the
> e result
>

I am using AOFO. I will try turning it off.

> 3 Are you taking local backups or remote backups ?
> Try spliting the job and then observe the result.
>

It is all remote servers on the job I am having trouble with.

> 4.Enable support for restrict anonymous with the help
> of the technote below on the local server and remote
> server:
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/238618.htm
>

I am not backing up an Exchange 2000 server but I will try this.

> 5. The file that you have mentioned does it exist?
> If yes then to isolate take a backup of this file
> only and then verify
> also try to exclude it from backup and then verify
>

I was able to successfully backup the file on its own. The odd part is that it usually backs up this file with no problems. It fails on a sporadic basis with no rational explanation.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please do the modifications as suggested and before running the job please run sgmon.exe and then check the error and paste the error part in the forum.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190979.htm

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
I ran SGMON and it killed all my backup jobs apparently. The logs are all corrupt and aren't able to be read. That was the only change.

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
On an additional not SGMON caused my scheduled Report taks to fail as well.

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
Disregard the last two errors. The disk Backup Exec on is running on is out of space and it wasn't able to generate the catalog files.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the update. It appears that the issue is now resolved.

Regards,

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
No the issue isn't resolved. The only thing that was resolved was my problem with why the weekend backup didn't run. They were totally separate problems.

Jason_Reynolds_
Level 4
This thread can be closed. We are migrating the problematic server to LINUX and to a different backup solution. We won't be using VERITAS for this server any more.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update this post will be archived.

Regards,

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
As per the customers last reply