cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0xa000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad.

Gary_Hurst
Level 4
Hello

I'm using BE 9.1 with Windows 2000 sp4 and Exchange 5.5. In the past couple of weeks backup jobs have been flagged as failing with the following error during mailbox backup;

Database or database element is corrupt

In the Exceptions area it gives a warning about a corrupt file and then again at the end of the log to say that it cannot verify. The warning is repeated 5 times (one for each instance of the file) but always the same file. The users claim to not have this file in their mailboxes but still the job fails.

I was about to apply the registry hack (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/261457.htm) to ignore this error but haven't as it seems to me this just covers up the problem and is dangerous as future warnings may be missed.

Any advice what I should do ?? Thanks.

Gary
9 REPLIES 9

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Gary!

Before making the registry changes, i would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the same technote.

1 Verify if any emails are quarantined. Those mails need to be excluded from the backup.
2. If any users are selected for backup whose mailboxes no longer exist. Deselect these users from backup.

3. Stop Antivirus services during backup window.

4. If using Advance Open File Option (AOFO) for Exchange backup, uncheck it.

5. Verify if the option Enable single instance backup for message attachments
(for mailbox and public folder backups only) is enabled. If yes, uncheck it and verify the results.

Thanks and regards,
Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Gary_Hurst
Level 4
Thanks for your reply, Swati

1. & 2.: I've checked these out and confirmed they don't apply in this case.

3. Unfortunately I'm not able to stop Antivirus services as the backup window is about 78 hours and therefore a bit risky.

4. I'm not using AOFO.

5. I did have this checkbox enabled so I've unchecked it.

I'll report back on Monday if this has made any difference.

Gary

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gary_Hurst
Level 4
Hello

The backup is still running but the log is already reporting the same error message whilst backing up the mailboxes;

"a000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad."

What should I do ??

Gary

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please follow the technote given below.

(title) How to prevent Backup Exec from failing a backup operation when encountering corrupt files (excluding Microsoft Exchange files)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/193940

Also try stopping anti virus and verify results

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Gary_Hurst
Level 4
Thanks, Tejashree

I've applied the fix to the registry, however I think this just masks the problem. The log will continue to flag the files as corrupt but the job status will change to success. Will it not ??

Interestingly, I've contacted the 4 users who have the corrupt files in their inboxes (as reported by BE) but none can find these files. Very strange.

The backup will run tomorrow (7th Apr) so I'll be able to report its status on the 10th Apr).

Gary

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Garry!

I would suggest you to exclude "Exchsrvr" folder from the antivirus scan and try to backup only the affected mailboxes after stopping the antivirus.

Also delete the corrupt files and have those users to empty the deleted items folder.

Please do revert back on this.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Gary_Hurst
Level 4
Hello Swati

I've contacted all the users affected by this and all claim to not have the corrupt file in their mailboxes. However, the latest backup is now only reporting 3 occurances instead of the original 6 when this issue surfaced. I'm thinking that perhaps the users have all deleted these items at various times and they are still held in the recoverable items area of the Exchange database (set to 14 days in our case).

I've applied the registry change, as advised, and the job status is no longer reported as failed.

This doesn't appear to be affecting the rest of the backup so I'm happy for you to close this incident.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Gary,

Thank you for the Update !

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.