cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0xe000fed1

Fred_Hamilton
Level 3
I am seeing this error after upgrading to version 10d from 9.1:

Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.Final error category: Resource ErrorsWriter Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during freeze

When I run VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS everything reports back without errors and the support information pertaining to this problem seems to assume I will find errors as it does not say what to do if no errors are found running VSSADMIN. Where do I look now? Also the last 2-mornings our Exchange server has been unresponsive to Outlook users and had to be rebooted. Exchange was very stable prior to the upgrade to Veritas 10d. Could they be related? It seems something from Veritas is locking up the system state.

I see this error over and over in the job history:

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\TBCEXC02\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during freeze operation (9). Consult your Microsoft documentation for details. Check the Windows Event Viewer for corresponding application or system errors

How do I correct this problem?

Fred Hamilton
Network Engineer
Butler Animal Health Supply
7 REPLIES 7

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Take the backup using NTbackup to isolate the cause of this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Fred_Hamilton
Level 3
Excuse me as I haven't finished my coffee this morning and may be a little slow, but how in the world is this going to solve my problem with BackupExec? Also, as this is a problem backing up my Exchange Server, I can't just start an NTBackup during business hours as it will affect performance. I can't see where using a totally different backup package will solve anything. Can you or anyone else offer another suggestion or better yet solution?

Best regards,

Fred Hamilton
Network Engineer
Butler Animal Health Supply

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

As suggested in the previous mail it would be better if you run a NT back to isolate the issue.

Please let us know the update.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Fred_Hamilton
Level 3
No, I don't have time to run a different software backup. This is an Exchange server and I can't be "testing" other options like this on a production server. I have spoken with someone in support that said to turn off AOFO, which I did and the backups completed, without backing up files in use. This is not an acceptable answer either as we paid a license fee for AOFO and must have it for DR. Telling a customer not to use an option they paid for is ridiculous. If a Symantec manager is reading/monitoring this post, I would appreciate your feedback as I am not satisfied at all with the answers I am receiving from support? Also, are you aware what everyone is saying in newsgroups outside of Symantec concerning support? It isn't a pretty picture.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Fred!

The reason you were suggested to carry out a backup using the windows native backup utility - NTBackup (written by Veritas) was to check if it also has issues backing up the IS.
Because when you activate the AOFO option in your backup job, the VSS technology is used to take a snapshot of the exchange resources.

Also note that there is no harm in using NTBackup to do an online exchange backup as it will not interrupt your exchange at all.

We would be more than glad to help you with any issues/questions you have with BEWS.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Fred_Hamilton
Level 3
Again, no I am not goign to perform a backup using NTBackup! Our jobs ran perfectly in version 9. We didn't have this AOFO issue until we upgraded to version 10. I am having this issues on 2 other servers as well so running NTBackup won't prove a thing. I was told this issues was escalated to level 2 support and asked what time they should call. I said 2:00pm EST. Well your support being what it is, I received tha call at 6:10pm EST and I leave a 5. This issue needs a resolution now.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We apologise for the late response.

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.