cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders participating in DFS-Replication not backed up after BE hotfix 31

Petr_Micanek
Level 3
Hello,

we have a problem when backing up folders which are members of DFS Replication. Content of these folders is not backed up at all. I have already posted a complaint regarding this issue 3 weeks ago but did not receive any helpful information unfortunately.
I investigated the circumstances of this behavior in the last days because it occurs only on certain backup servers in our environment. I have found that this problem does not occur on servers where no hotfixes were applied on Backup Exec installation (in comparison to these servers where all relevant hotfixes are applied – SP1, HF26, 27, 29, 31, 33, 34). I found out that the „critical“ patch (which causes malfunction of backups) is Hotfix 31. As far as I applied SP1, Hotfix 26, 27, 29 everything worked fine. After installing Hotfix 31, the backup started to contain no data.

I would like to ask you to pay attention to this problem.

Thank you

Petr Micanek

PS: Currently we are workarounding this problem using Pre/post commands stopping and re-starting the "DFS Replication" service.
8 REPLIES 8

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Are these problem servers Windows 2003 R2 ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

Petr_Micanek
Level 3
Yes, all of the servers are running Windows 2003 R2 Standard edition.

Regards

Petr M.

Linwood_Wright
Level 4
I am having the exact same problems. We were hoping that by moving to 11d the problem would go away, but it hasn't.

We've tested this issue extensively and cannot resolve it. It is causing us a great deal of extra work and we need this to get solved quickly please.

The testing that confirmed the problem for me:
1. Tried to backup a folder that was in a DFS replication group > no errors, just no data backed up.

2. Turned off the DFS Replication service and the Distributed File System services - all data backed up normally.

3. Turned those services back on > no data backed up.

Linwood_Wright
Level 4
Petr - may I ask what the command was that you used to "Pre/post commands stopping and re-starting the "DFS Replication" service."?

Petr_Micanek
Level 3
Hello Linwood, we use the following commands:

net stop "DFS Replication"
net start "DFS Replication"

Regards

Petr

Kim_Felsner
Level 2
Partner Certified
Any news here Symantec ? ?

Stopping replication over several hours isn�t a solution here...

Regards

Linwood_Wright
Level 4
I've upgraded to version 11d. I found on pages 323 and 324 of the BEAdmin.pdf guide that it says to create User Selections for the DFS folders I want to back up.

I don't know what the hell that's all about, but I did it and it works.

If you want more detail on exactly what I did, let me know and I'll descibe it.

Symantec is not living up to their customers needs right now when it comes to technical support. I'm considering moving away from all of their products that my company uses.

John_Terribili
Level 2
Getting the same here. Any answers to this yet Symantec? Anyone else have other solutions?