cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forgot to disable automount - Can't determine if there is a problem...

Moltron1
Level 5

Hey, so I did a no-no and let my Backup Exec server see my ESX LUNS / Data stores on my fibre channel SAN without disabling automount.  This is a new BE server, and after testing VEEAM out (which took care of this automatically) setting this slipped my mind.

My setup:  Win 2k8 R2 for Backup Exec server and vSphere 4.0 U2 with an EMC FC SAN.

I was quickly setting it up, and worrying more about fabric zoning and ended up adding the server to the SAN fabric and then adding it in the host lists on the EMC exposing everything to the server.   After a bit I realized I had never issued that command on the server! 

I quickly took the BE server out of the FC zones so it couldnt see the LUNS anymore.  Then issued diskpart automount disable and then did a scrub.  I rezoned the server back in so it could see the datastores.

Things seem fine.  My datastores did not error or anything in VMware.  Also on one of my ESX hosts I ran an fdisk -lu to find that everything still read VMFS as its type, so I dont think that Windows overwrote anything...  The thing is that SAN transport works but it seems rather slow, 1GB/minute.  My test server before that (A Windows 2k3 server) got about 3.5GB/min over SAN.  Another thing that worries me is that the old test server picked up on the data stores in Disk Management as "Healthy (Unknown Partition)" with no drive letter for each one.  My Win2k8R2 box shows them as "Healthy (Primary Partition)" with no drive letter.  I don't know if that is a difference with how Win 2k3 and 2k8 display things or what.  For that reason I think something is still not right?

Has anyone been in this situation?  can verify that their datastores appear as mine do in a Win2k8 R2 box when viewing from Disk Management?

-Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

I think you need to direct this to a VMware forum...seems like whatever was done might have affected the way those LUNs are viewed in ESX itself.

http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

I think you need to direct this to a VMware forum...seems like whatever was done might have affected the way those LUNs are viewed in ESX itself.

http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa

Thanks!