cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Backup

Romeo123
Level 4
I have to backup a file server and an active directory server. I have 5 LTO 3 tapes. The quantum LTO3 drive is connected to the active directory server. I want to devise a strategy in such a way that monday tape is used only on Monday and so on.Tapes will be inserted manually. These are the steps I am going to follow

(1) Backup Exec is installed on the Active directory server and RAWS on the file server.
 (2) I'll use the configure devices wizard to configure the tapes.
 (3) l'll create a media set: APP - 0 days and OPP - 6 days (Please advise)
 (4) I'll create a selection list - files on the file server and systems states on the AD server (Please advise)
 (5) l'll create a policy - daily full backup with the created media set.
 (6) Backup job is created.

Are there any additional steps that I have to perform? please advise. Thank you
14 REPLIES 14

tech29
Level 6
Hi Romeo,

(3) l'll create a media set: APP - 0 days and OPP - 6 days (Please advise) :  I will suggest you to change the AP to 1 day, because the job is going to run for 1 day. If you keep the AP as 0 days, then the tape becomes non-appendable as well as it will be non-overwritable as OPP will be 6 days.

4) I'll create a selection list - files on the file server and systems states on the AD server (Please advise)

In order to fully protect DC (Domain Controller, active directory server) you need to backup c: (partition on which OS is installed) along with the system state.

are you going to use a robotic library or a standalone tape.?

Regards,
tech29

Romeo123
Level 4
Standalone Tape.

Regards

tech29
Level 6
Ok.. The reason why  I asked you this question is that, if you were using a robotic library then you might would have to partition the library so that you can use one tape per day.

This should not be the issue in your case thought as you have a standalone drive and tapes will be changed manually.

Let me know if you have anymore queries.

Regards,
tech29

Romeo123
Level 4
Dear SIr,
If my media set is APP = 1 day and OPP = 6 days, wont it be a problem when i use the monday tape on the following monday? i.e. Lets say on Monday my backup job starts at 7pm and it ends at 11pm. My append period will be till tuesday 11pm. from there my OPP will start to act and it ll end on Monday 11pm. But my backup job starts at 7pm and my tape is Overwrite protected. 

tech29
Level 6
Hi There,

This should not be an issue, because you will be running an overwritable job each day right?  for e.g. on monday you ran a job, so now the tapes becomes overwrite protected till sunday and on next monday the tape becomes overwritable again and you may be able to run an overwritable job on it.

Let me know if you have anymore queires.

Regards,
tech29

Romeo123
Level 4
Yea i ll be running an overwritable job each day but with the media set (APP= 1day and OPP=6days), according to me the monday tape will be overwrite protected till Monday not Sunday. Am i rite?

tech29
Level 6
The monday job will finish by 11 pm right?  so and the OPP is of 6 days so the tape will be overwrite protected till sunday 11 pm. 

regards,
tech29

Romeo123
Level 4
But since APP = 1 day, APP wil end on tuesday 11pm. from tuesday 11 pm it will be overwrite protected. So for 6 days, it ll be overwrite protected till Monday. Am i right?

Romeo123
Level 4
My deepest apologies Sir. you are right. OPP starts from the last write to the media.

tech29
Level 6
OPP starts at the end of the job, append period does not come in picutre.

"The Overwrite protection period starts at the end of each job run, not the beginning. It is lengthened each time a media is modified."

Please go through the following link to get a better idea of OPP and AP.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/192265.htm

Regards,
tech29

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Not quite. The append period starts when you first allocate the media (i.e. when you start writing to it). The overwrite protection period starts when you last write data to the media (i.e. it changes as you add data to the media). Neither setting affects the other.
So in your example, the Monday back starts at 7pm. With a 1 day append period, you can continue to append data to that tape until 7pm on Tuesday. If the backup job completes at 11pm on Monday, that backup will be overwrite protected until 11pm on Sunday with a 6 day OPP.

tech29
Level 6
Hey.. No problem Romeo123..

let me know if you still have any queries, I will love to assist you on those.

Regards
Tech29

tech29
Level 6
Hi There,

Do you have any more queries on this, if not, could you please mark this as solution to close this discussion.

Regards,
tech29

tech29
Level 6
Hi Romeo123,

Any update on this?

Regards,
tech29