cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Restore to different server

Eric_DePanfilis
Level 2
I am looking for the correct procedure to restore a full backup (including system state) from a 2000 server to a different server that is running Server 2000 with nothing else on it.

Do I have to redirect the full backup of the c: drive and system state to the c: drive of the new server? I have ran into problems doing it this way.I haven't found any clear directions on this.

Thanks,
Eric
5 REPLIES 5

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that "REDIRECTED RESTORE IF SYSTEM STATE IS NOT SUPPORTED" .
-However a workaround to redirect system state to a folder on the test machine drive and then using REGEDIT import the registry hives from that system state restore.
- or could use the native NTBACKUP utility to restore the system state from that folder .

NOTE:This is a purely workaround.

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

If our understanding regarding your issue is incorrect please elaborate.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Deepali Badave

Eric_DePanfilis
Level 2
I tried to import the files into the registry with no success. These files don't even show up as registration files and if I import them anyways it gives me an error. The 3 folders that show up when I do a restore to a folder are "boot files", "Com+ class registration database", and "registry".

I will try to use ntbackup to restore these files and see if I have any success with this.

Is backup exec not capable of doing a direct full restore (all drives and system state) to another server with same OS without a workaround?

Seems like this would be a common issue if upgrading to new server or if older server dies.

Thanks,
Eric

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
hello,

Have you tried to use NTbackup?What is the result?

Thank you,

Eric_DePanfilis
Level 2
I have tried to restore the backup exec system state files using ntbackup with no success. They don't show up as .bkf files to restore and if I try to restore them anyways by "showing all files" it throws back an error and does not run.

I just can't believe that there is not a common procedure to do this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

unfortunately, redirected restore of System State is not possible. Please check out the document: http://support.veritas.com/docs/270481

You may launch a product enhancement request using the following link:

You may also subscribe to our Email Notification Service for latest updates and new releases:

Thanks and regards!