cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tape drive performance

Hoot_Thompson
Level 3
Partner
I have a very high performance RAID system and a SAN file system that under normal circumstances performs at very high rates. However, it can't seem to keep data flowing to a bank of six LTO 3 tape drives and the best I can tell it's because of the way BE reads data from RAID. How do I set block/transfer sizes on the RAID side under BE such that it efficiently moves data to the tape drives? It appears that BE makes 64K requests which is inefficient. How can I raise that to a 1MB or more?
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you doing B2D2T, or just backing up the Disk drives?

From the devices tab, right click on eof hte tape drives and select Properties. What are the settings for Block SIze, Buffer Size and Number of buffers?

Hoot_Thompson
Level 3
Partner
Just disk to tape. I have experimented with a variety of settings starting with default all the way to maxing out the drive parameters but regardless of the settings, the block requests to the RAID end up being 64K. I need more like 1MB requests. The end result is that it appears as though the tape drives are starving.

Dave_Hornby_2
Level 1
To set the block size larger than 64k in windows you have to edit the registry.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Hoot,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Support_User
Level 4
Hi Dave - do you have details on the registry settings to enable larger thank 64k block size?

Thanks.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
I think windows has a maximum block size of 64K .

Feeding 6 LTO-3 drives at full transfer rate is quite an (exspensive) challange. You really need to multiplex data from differnet LUNS/HBA's/disk controllers, to make it work, and Backup Exec can't multiplex.

Here's a good article-

http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol_117/LTO3/LTO3.htm

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Hoot,

Could you Update us on the issue?

Thanks,
RegardsMessage was edited by:
Amruta Bhide