cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full and incremental question

Hunter235
Level 2

I'm converting from B2Tape to B2Disk.  I'm running a full B2Tape daily, and running a full B2Disk on Tuesday and Friday, and running an incremental B2Disk on every other day.  My question... is the incremental B2Disk backing up changed files from the B2Tape or the B2Disk?  In other words, which of the full backups is controling what the incremental backup backs up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

An incremental backup will backup will backup all the new and modified files since the last full or incremental backup.

Your scheme is no good since it will produce a mess.  I don't know exactly when your incremental backups are done, but lets assume that they are run on Mon, Wed. and Fri and after the full backups.

Mon. - Full backup - B2T.  The incr will backup files since the Mon. full B2T backup.

Tue. - Full backup B2D

Wed - Incr backup will backup files since the Tue full backup

Fri. - Full backup B2D.  The incr will backup files since the Fri. full B2D backup.

Essentially, the incremental backup on Mon and Fri will backup nothing since they are done almost immediately after the the full backup.

==========

If the incr backups are done on Tue. and Thu.

Mon - Full backup, B2T

Tue. - Full backup B2D.  The incr will backup files changed since the Tue. full backup

Thu - Incr backup will backup files since the Tue incr backup

Fri. - Full backup B2D. 

=========

Stick to one scheme.  Normally, people will do a full backup on Fri and then incremental backups on Mon - Thu.  Preferably, all the backups should be to the same type of media, but you can mix media.  Do NOT mix full and incremental backup at a random fashion like what you are doing at the moment.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

An incremental backup will backup will backup all the new and modified files since the last full or incremental backup.

Your scheme is no good since it will produce a mess.  I don't know exactly when your incremental backups are done, but lets assume that they are run on Mon, Wed. and Fri and after the full backups.

Mon. - Full backup - B2T.  The incr will backup files since the Mon. full B2T backup.

Tue. - Full backup B2D

Wed - Incr backup will backup files since the Tue full backup

Fri. - Full backup B2D.  The incr will backup files since the Fri. full B2D backup.

Essentially, the incremental backup on Mon and Fri will backup nothing since they are done almost immediately after the the full backup.

==========

If the incr backups are done on Tue. and Thu.

Mon - Full backup, B2T

Tue. - Full backup B2D.  The incr will backup files changed since the Tue. full backup

Thu - Incr backup will backup files since the Tue incr backup

Fri. - Full backup B2D. 

=========

Stick to one scheme.  Normally, people will do a full backup on Fri and then incremental backups on Mon - Thu.  Preferably, all the backups should be to the same type of media, but you can mix media.  Do NOT mix full and incremental backup at a random fashion like what you are doing at the moment.

Hunter235
Level 2

That clears up my question... Thanks!!