cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full restore to a second, identical server

Melite
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to Backup Exec 12.5 and how it works as well as being a Sys Admin, so please be nice :)

Situation:

I have 2 identical servers, HP ML150 G6's with 8 GIGs of RAM. They are both running Windows SBS 2008 R2.

One of them is at a live site, the second is at a second, separate location as part of my disaster recovery strategy.

I am taking a full backup of the live server on a daily basis and would like to be able to restore everything to the backup server in case the server crashes or gets stolen.

I have read the guide that came with BE, but it doesnt seem to address the issue that I am having.

Question:

What I have had a lot of trouble finding out so far is: Is it possible to use BE 12.5 to backup the live server and restore it entirely on the second server?

(I'm aware of other products such as Snap Deploy and will use it if necessary, but I think BE can handle it)

Also, while I have installed BE 12.5 on the second server, every time I try to do a restore, the agent crashes. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct agent, but how do you tell?

Any advice is welcome guys, and thanks in advance for your time!!

Regards and seasons greetings,

Melite
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Melite,

Yes it is...

With regards to the agent, I'd start with deploying the agent remotely from your BEWS server. If the correct agent is installed, it will actually state that, and you won't be able to proceed with the installation as it will exit.
On your selection list, find the second server in question, right-click it, and choose Install Remote Agent/Advanced Open File Option.
In fact, I'd suggest you do this everytime you update your backup server with patches or with service packs. They inevitably have patches for Remote Agents and licensed agents like SQL/Exchange etc.

With Backup Exec, you can do a redirect of your files. On your restore job, you will find a tab called File Redirection. As long as the server you want to restore too has the RAWS agent (Remote Agent for Windows Server) installed and communicating, you can restore to it. You would be insterested in using the Restore to path option which will redurect to that server.

For Exchange, I'd suggest rather staging that to disk first. It cuts out a lot of additional work that needs to be done to start a restore again if it fails. I wrote an article about this a couple of months ago, and you can use the first part which details duplication to disk. From there, it's the normal disaster recovery procedures for Exchange as per Microsoft.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

It's fine that you have the full version of Exchange on your second server, but it's a full license. If you cannot afoord that license for now, I'd go with the RAWS agent installed on that server until you need to load up a working version of BEWS. The RAWS agent is a lot cheaper, and if server 1 dies, you are able to use the licenses you have on server 2 to get it operational.

Hope this helps?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Hi Melite,

Yes it is...

With regards to the agent, I'd start with deploying the agent remotely from your BEWS server. If the correct agent is installed, it will actually state that, and you won't be able to proceed with the installation as it will exit.
On your selection list, find the second server in question, right-click it, and choose Install Remote Agent/Advanced Open File Option.
In fact, I'd suggest you do this everytime you update your backup server with patches or with service packs. They inevitably have patches for Remote Agents and licensed agents like SQL/Exchange etc.

With Backup Exec, you can do a redirect of your files. On your restore job, you will find a tab called File Redirection. As long as the server you want to restore too has the RAWS agent (Remote Agent for Windows Server) installed and communicating, you can restore to it. You would be insterested in using the Restore to path option which will redurect to that server.

For Exchange, I'd suggest rather staging that to disk first. It cuts out a lot of additional work that needs to be done to start a restore again if it fails. I wrote an article about this a couple of months ago, and you can use the first part which details duplication to disk. From there, it's the normal disaster recovery procedures for Exchange as per Microsoft.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

It's fine that you have the full version of Exchange on your second server, but it's a full license. If you cannot afoord that license for now, I'd go with the RAWS agent installed on that server until you need to load up a working version of BEWS. The RAWS agent is a lot cheaper, and if server 1 dies, you are able to use the licenses you have on server 2 to get it operational.

Hope this helps?

CraigV
Hi,

Has this helped at all?